Hay feeding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ddunk1026, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

I read somewhere that once kits are born, all greens should be taken out for a while because it is bad for the kits to eat greens. Is this true or can they be fed normally like without kits? Also I've been told to only feed a small amount of hay per day but many things I've read have said to leave a constant supply of hay. Which is better? Does it really matter which is done? Also, what does a hay feeder cost and where can i get one? Is there anything I can use for one instead or can I make one?I feed timothy. Thanks for any input!

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Feed as much timothy as you want, if you were feeding alfalfa, you would want to limit it. It is not good for the babies to eat greens, so however you want to manage it... just don't let THEM eat it. :) Hmm, they should have a hay feeder in pet stores, the only place I know of is da-mars, they will ship too. Could try eBay... Not sure...

3. Ddunk1026

Ddunk1026 Active Member

How old should the babies be before the can eat greens?

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would say 3 months to be safe, you may be able to give them a little at 2 months, rare maybe 6 weeks, but only a TINY bit, and see if it gives them the runs, and then slowly increase it. Just watch them and see how they do, is the important thing. You will also want to try and give them more natural greens, like dandelions, unsprayed grass, etc, stuff they would eat in the wild. Even some dried out ones from over winter would be a good start.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

You can make a hay rack out of welded wire, and hang it on the outside of the cage. The rabbits will pull the hay through.

Now, as far as greens go, I always start off as I mean to go on. I always wean my animals onto the type of diet they will continue on. I feel it's safer to let the buns start off getting fresh stuff when they start eating, than changing their diet when they're older. So, I continue giving mom her fresh food snack daily, and when the kits start nibbling on it, too, I add more each day. Mine have never gotten diarrhea when introduced this way. The fresh food I feed is a morning snack, supplemental to their pellets and timothy, not a full diet. And, I have a small rabbitry (or I wouldn't be feeding fresh at all!) and can watch everyone. But I have never had problems doing it this way.

My suggestion, though, is to read everything you can and ask all the questions you can (which is what you are doing!)...then figure out what works best for you and your animals. My way may not work as well with a different breed in a different climate. It works for me, right here where I am.
    Meg

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

=====

Hello Dd ,, You can go to your local hardware store and buy 1in x 2in x 24 in wire to make hay racks to attach to the inside of your cages ,, I attach mine to the inside of my hutches about 4 inches from the top so I can stuff the hay in easily ,,

If you want pictures e-mail me ,,

tuckertbnc@aol.com

it is cheaper to make ,, than to buy ready made ,, if you are at all handy with wire cutters