Hay Feeders

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Galloping Goats, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Galloping Goats

Galloping Goats Active Member

I'm new to this forum and quickly grew tired of looking through the archives for an answer to this question. I hope you all will be patient. Does anyone have plans for a good no waste hay feeder? Preferably with slant bars not keyhole. We would like to build our own as cost is always an issue.

2. jwcinpk

jwcinpk Well-Known Member

There are plenty of ways, but I geuss the cheapest thing that comes to mind I saw in a magazine somewhere. Someone had taken some of that plastic fence used in construction, nailed a section to the wall with the ends loose and then tied them together like a big pocket. You just stuffed it with hay and they drug it out.

3. howdy......i have used chicken wire to make a triangle pocket fer a hay feeder and it works out nice.....but remember to turn in the cut edges so yer goats dont get cut up.........i took a 4'x4' chicken wire...rolled the edges over a few times...folded the edges till i got what looks like an envolope without the top....hung it up and stretch it out alil to form yer pocket...fill with hay....i done this about 3 weeks ago and it is workingout fine and was a cheap solution....will still look fer haybags used in god condition fer when i expand my heard but this works fer now..i wouldnt use the plastic construction fencing stuff cause goats love to chew and i would think after while they could get ahold some and get bound in the digestive tract and kill them....hope this helps...dale anne

4. Galloping Goats

Thanks so much for the ideas. We were looking for wood plans. Right now I have a feed box attached to the house and we use a piece of field fencing to keep them from pulling it all out but I need to build a bigger feeder that can go outside the shelter as we have gotten more goats. Shannon :)

5. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

Cut a cattle panel 4 to 5 feet long and stand on end so the holes are longer up and down. Build a plywood end for both ends and mount to a wall the the bottom touching the wall and the top out away from the wall about 24 inches. Then ad some kind of tray on the bottom to catch hay that drops. No matter what you build some hay will be lost. This is not the best hay manger for goats with horns.
    Hope this helps.
    Jim

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

How many goats, how big, horns or no horns? What kind of hay? It all matters. I can take some pics of mine if it will suit your situation.

7. Galloping Goats

Hi Laura. You're not far from me. I'm in Port Angeles, Wa. We have 3 Nubians in the pen that I want the feeder for. We'll be adding 1 more Nubian and an Alpine as soon as they are big enough to go in with the ladies. No horns of course. The problem is that I want a roof over it or rather attached to it because as you know, we get a lot of rain. We feed orchard grass hay. I thought this would be a good place to get advice. Shannon

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

9. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I had quite a bit of trouble keeping the hay from going all over the ground. This winter my husband adjusted the manger. It's an old sheep manger - basically a long *V* with plywood sides. The point is directly down and it LOOKS like a V when you stand next to it. The front bars are 7 inches apart and angled.

Here's the catch: there is a center divider of 2x2 slats to keep the hay on the "back" side of the manger. The gals go in at the front, but have to *reach* for the hay...they're too eager to take a mouthful, back out and munch so they just stay in there to eat. Virtually no more waste at all. Watching the two goats and three sheep standing side by side with their heads all inside the manger is a beautiful and very satisfying sight!

If you want I can go take pictures of it and email them to you...have no clue as to how to post a picture here on the forum and don't want to try to mess with websites...

-Sarah

10. Galloping Goats

11. cattle panels on end, like above, witha board in the bottom

12. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

I am sending you ( email) a picture of a hay feeder that a man made out here near us made for his wife's goats. It was made out of wooden pallets and didn't cost him a cent to make. I keep listening to trade-e-o, our local radio station has it on each weekday. I know people advertise them for free sometimes, so I am just waiting to get some so my husband can make 2 new hay feeders for us.

13. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey, TimandPatti....could you send me that picture, too? Pallets I have lots of...too bad you aren't closer, I'd swap.

Meg :)

14. TimandPatti

TimandPatti Texas

Will do, what is your email addy?

15. Galloping Goats

Thanks Tim&Patti those look like just the ticket. :)