Hay feeder from wooden pallets

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Smoky Rain, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

Anyone have any design ideas/plans or links to information on building a raised hay feeder out of wooden pallets? I will be using this as a field feeder...

I was going to just build a square with the pallets and make a lid out of scrap plywood and hinges for the top; However, I would prefer making it more in a V shape so that it is more efficient and the goats will be able to reach all the hay...

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Smoky

2. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

You could get two big post place them in the ground (Sticking up 6 foot out of the ground) however far apart you would like the feeder. Make your Roof To hang over each side approx 2 feet, and then get some hog panel. The small on bottom. I am sure you have seen it. Nail the bottoms to the post and the top on a board sticking out from both sides. You could make a frame if you though you needed it. The splinters from the wood pallets could get in there eyes or anything. I wish the forum could see pictures. If I need to explain it more let me know or if you would like me to draw plans I will and send it to you.

3. DWFarms

DWFarms Member

I just made a picture of what I am talking about if you would like to see it. Just email me or send me a pm with you email address.

I wish there was a place to post pictures on this forum. I am sure anyone could build this. Easy and very attractive. If anyone else would like to see what I am talking about you are welcome to email me as well. Just tell me you want the picture of the field hay rack and I will know what you are talking about.

4. Smoky Rain

Smoky Rain Well-Known Member

Stephanie,
    Thank you for your reply...

I would love to see your pictures of this feeder. I have a partial picture in my mind from your description...

Incidentally, I did build a square shaped feeder yesterday out of 5 wooden pallets. And it seems to be working great. I even put a lid on it made out of a scrap sheet of T1-11.

As I mentioned already - I would love to see a picture of this feeder...
    There is a simple way for you to post a picture here:

1. Go to http://tinypic.com/
    2. Click the "browse" button, find your picture, and then click "host it" to upload the image.
    3. The image will then be hosted at "Tinypic.com", and will show a URL for the image. Copy the URL.
    4. Paste URL address in the body of your message here.
    5. Using advanced options here for posting that allows you to bold print , change font , color , etc. , you will then want to highlight the URL and then click on the "insert image" button. This will insert the image into the body of your message...

Here's an example - This is a picture of "Titan", my purebred Nubian buck:

Titan

[​IMG]

And this is a picture of "Patsy", my French Alpine doe:

Patsy

[​IMG]

(Looking forward to seeing this hayrack...)

Smoky