Hay Estimate Questions?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Mar 25, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Looking at a 100 acre field that is in hay production already. Mixed alfalfa/clover. The standard practice in this district is to harvest the large round bales.
    Not being a hay farmer, or having the equipment for it, I was wondering what is the number of large round bales to expect from a harvest on this acerage?

What is the going rate for a cost of a large round bale of decent quality alfalfa/clover mixed feed hay in northern states or eastern Canada?
    Trying to get some cost analysis about what to do about renting this if I got involved about it.

I also want to consider the prospects for planting partly in Field Peas, which I would check the ag office for best variety and yeild. Is it a good idea for feed and sale? It may be the harvesting equipment might be the drawback for me to consider this.

Ford Major....I'm hoping you'll be availabe for some advice on this from your experience.
    Thanks,
    Rich

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Ross would probably be a good one to answer this question since he is also in Canada. Speaking of Ross, I don't recall seeing any posts by him for quite awhile now. Perhaps just busy with spring work as many are.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

it really depends on yeiled and bale weight and if it has been fertilized or not. another factor this year is that last year was very wet and a lot of fields have either ruts or drown outs . we tend to buy standing hay on a yeild basis ,then calculate how many ton by timesing the number of bales with there approximate weight. bale weight is dependant on the make of baler and type of hay . other factor is rain,to little affects yield as does to much and rain on cut hay can make it worthless.going rates also vary greatly as to balers .cutting is usually the same price wether a large mower or small. omafra had a chart that they publish on custom rates that i think ross has so will bug him tomorrow. will also get a hold of a buddy does custom work in north bay(other side of the province i know
    !!)last year was so variable ,some fields that normaly yielded well yielded half or less even with applications of fertilizer

4. moonwolf

Thanks for the info.
    I don't farm hay, but from what I see in the fields nearby is only what I am guessing about when I can count how many bales lie in a field. Usually in a season there is 3 cuttings around here and almost exclusively in large round bales used and sold locally.
    p.s. If you think North Bay is on the other side of the province, try a couple thousand kilomoters from there and that's about near where I am. Good hay growing area on the west end as it transitions toward Manitoba.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

in our area most farmers have gone to large square bales . there are a few like ross and i that bale round bales and small square bales .first cutting is the large yield and the second and third cuts higher quality alfalfa but lower volume.timing is every thing .rellying on custom operators can be very fustrating, a rain can set things off track badly ,there was some first cut hay still standing the end of august last season (i used to work for a custom manure outfit as well as doing custom hay ) by north bay being the other side of the province i meant from you! know about where you are at though have not been there. is there a reputable custom harvester near by? without equipment you are very dependant on this factor,last thing you want is some one who wants the land them selves so sabotages your efforts.

6. moonwolf

Got a rough estimate on the which they got about 400 large round bales harvested in a normal precipitation year. That gives me some idea of the value of it around here. A neighbor working out this on a share basis seems to be able to keep up the hayfield. The property layout and history seems best suited for continuing it in hay production.

7. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    I read somewhere online that established alfalfa can yeild up to 5 tons per acre depending on conditions. I'm planting 1/2 lb each of alfalfa, timothy and clover.