hay bail insulation?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Sep 27, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

How much insulaction value is a bail of hay? I want to put it around the back wall of my solaruim that I am attaching to the house this week. 24 foot along the house will be only thin skirting . I will build a wall when I have the money to do so. But for the time being I want to use hay or some other thing that want cost much. If this will work, do I need to cover it with plastic?

2. Natalie11

Natalie11 Well-Known Member

The insulation of a bale of hay is roughly R-30.
    You can verify this by researching "Straw Bale Building Methods" through google's search engine....

Covering your creation with tarps will add some life to the bails through the winter.

3. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

Took me a 1 1/2 yr to get rid of all the mice that had taken refuge in the hay during the winter, and once there decided to play Lewis and Clark under the house. Never again. And I still havnt got no sidfing under the house 20 yrs later

4. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

If you gotta do it use straw not hay.

And if you get 20 (pick a figure) bales then get 20 mousie traps.........you'll need them..........and you'll prove that mice are NOT on the endangered specie lists.

I thought that straw bales were in the R40 to 50 range.
    Anyway its really good enough to keep ma & pa mouse producing all winter long......and then some.

5. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

first we took 6mil black plastic then duct taped the edge that would be stapled to the cabin.
    and then sprinkled poision on the unfolded plastic.
    then we wrapped the hay by laying it on the other edge of the plastic and rolled it up
    last step was to take another bit of the same plastic and stapled it over the orginal plastic and tried to create a slope to shed the rain and snow