Having well tested

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

We have placed an offer on a pc of property and are in the midst of all inspections, etc. We wantto have the well checked out, but I am drawing blanks...what are the things that we need to test for? Who woudl we go to for this sort of thing? We do not have anything akin to a telephone book for the town/county that we are hoping to move to, so I need to be able to do an online seach for what we need.

Thanks...

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Check with the local extension office there - they should be listed online. Things to check *for sure* are hardness, iron, nitrate and nitrite levels, bacteria, e-coli. Things that would be nice to know, but sometimes cost more, are flouride levels.

The extension office can tell you more about the basic tests - I'm assuming that you're basically looking to be sure that the water is safe and drinkable?

Also ask the current owners when the last time it was that they shocked the well and how often they had to do it. If it's a regular occurence, or if it happened real recently, I'd be wary of the well! (personal mistakes revisited)

Sarah

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Here is my favorite on line phone book.

http://www.dexonline.com/

If the area is fairly rural you may want to look for the nearest larger town that has a laboratory where you can take a sample of the water. I've used privately owned labs for lead testing and they were reasonably priced. There are also places you can mail samples to.

4. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

here, you call the health dept and they go out for free. They do request that you shock the well the night before, let it sit a bit and then run water until you dont smell chlorine any more. then when they come, they will torch the faucet to make sure that is clean.

5. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

Also check with colleges....ours does tests and they know exactly what to look for........
    forgot to ad .....wouln't even think of buying till you know if the well is good for drinking. Makes a big differance in selling price. Best Wishes!!

6. caroline00

also find out where the septic is and make sure that the well is at least 100' from it and that it is at least 100' from any live water on the property

Have them get the septic certified before escrow closes

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Because this is going to be a cash sale, etc, much of this is falling to me...we dont HAVE to have these things, as in a mortgage company is forcing us, so it is our project, with no higher authority to use as an excuse for forcing action.

I *think* I have finally found someone to come do the septic (septics...there are two, one for the main house, the other for the two MH sites on the property). Today I call the ag extension to see what/who they suggest for well...probably will go to Texas A&M just an hour down the road. Plus, we want to have the pond on the property checked out...

So far everything else keeps looking good...we keep waiting for a door to shut but so far they just keep opening wider. Sceptical at this piont, already lost 2 such deals...

Thanks for the suggestions...health dept will take too long. We want to get this all done within the option period...

8. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

Welcome LeeAnne: Call any Real Estate Broker in the area that sells rural homes for a local water testing center that provides quick service. I'm a bit east of your new property, but PM me if I can help. My company keeps a stock of water sample bottles and have tests run at a nearby private lab. Good luck Glen

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

In a pinch, you can buy your own water testing kit - I've bought them from Lowe's. I've heard that the test kits are essentially the same thing that the labs use, but don't know for sure. Ours gave us the same results that the lab gave on our well. Less than thirty bucks and a good investment IMO.

10. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Please let us know how this all works out and if anything unhealthy is found in the well! We have a well that hasn't been used in about 20 years and I want to start using it again.

11. If you don't have an attorney on this, I would strongly suggest that you get one, the cost will be the best investment you can make into a new property. I say investment, as not only will it provide immediate peace of mind, but if unknown easements or liens pop up out of the blue in the future, you have recourse against the attorney and his insurance policy.

Most attorney's only cost a very small percentage of the total property cost and I feel they are totally worth it, this will most likely be the single biggest purchase of your life.

12. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Are you telling me that you are not going through a real estate firm?I hope this is not the case. There are so many things that must be done to protect YOU the buyer and well testing is one of many. Right along with the septic tank stuff and distance from the well etc. and so many other things.

I guess the laws must vary from state to state on this stuff? I think you need legal help here. I'd get a lawyer who knows real estate and what you need protecting from.

THis is the stuff nightmares are made of and we hear about them all the time here and on the daily programs on Radio that tell you what NOT to do when buying your property.

Good luck, I guess P. T Barnum was right. LQ

13. caroline00

you can generally get a realtor walk your purchase thru for a discounted rate. They do everything they would have except that you found the house yourself. You pay the realtor, not the seller.

I have purchased this way before.

14. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

We test our water fairly regularly. While we've never had a problem, I just feel safer doing it. The standard testing is fairly cheap--maybe $35. I do the heavy-duty testing ($60) every couple of years because we live in a farming area and I want to make sure we don't have pesticides and herbicides contaminating the ground water.

So, in addition to the contaminants listed by Sarah, if you are in a heavy farming area and suspect pesticides are being used or may have been used around your area in the not so distant past, you may also want to test for that.

Do a google search "well water testing" and add in the nearest city (and, of course, your state) and you'll probably get a hit. You can always try calling the library in the town and asking them to help you look up a water testing place in the phone book. Ours are listed under "Water analysis" or "Laboratories-testing." I'm assuming no real estate agent or attorney is involved; otherwise, they'd be an excellent source for a referral.

Fair warning--most companies that test water also offer filtration and water softening services. Don't let them sucker you. I've heard many a tale of water testers pushing for filtration or water softeners which you may not need. (We do have a whole house filter because sometimes we get sediment in our water--not at all dangerous, though.)

15. Qvrfullmidwife

We have a real estate agent, the one who we worked with when we bought this place here nine years ago. She has been very good about this with us. The problem is that her business is generally very urban...upscale urban. She has been very thorough in telling us things lke "technically you dont need an appraisal because you are buying cash, but I highly recommend that you get one". The problem is that she has had as hard a time finding inspectors/ etc for rural-type issues such as septic and well testing.

Anywho...we did find someone late yesterday who could do both and arranged to do so this morning. The pump is great, the water samples of both well and pond (a stipulation of my FIL :no: ) will be in on Wednesday. The septic looks well, by and large, the grease trap needs some work which the sellers will most likely be taking care of. We met the sellers for the first time this morning and had an altogether enjoyable time. We have been praying that the doors would be closed if this wasn't the property...they told us, unsolicited, that they have been praying that the doors would be closed for all but the right people. We shall see...if all goes well we close on July 15...

16. caroline00

well, I am still stuck with the lady singing praises of the city making this move?

What brought you to this? I'm glad you are joining the world of the sane :)

17. Qvrfullmidwife

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Caroline you caught me!

I honestly do not know what brought us to this place, other than God. I KNOW it had to be God for my "I am a symphony and museum and coffeehouse city-kinda guy" husband to be looking forward to this as anxiously as I am. It probably helps, somewhat, that we will be less than an hour away from all that is familiar. It probably also helps that dh was elected the president of the civic association and he is just sick over the inanity of deed restrictions, etc. So how/why we ended up here, I dont know...I cold detail the circumstances, involving inheritances and growing responsibility for aging parents but the bottom line is tha God put it in our hearts and simultaneously brought about the ability to actually do something about it. I am still praying, not sure that I will believe it until we are there, but it is getting close enough to be tangible...we are making diagrams of ideas such as where we want the goats to be and gathering boxes to pack up the crew and head on out. :)