Having tiller problems can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hears The Water, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

HI all. I know it is a little odd for me to be tilling right now, (I live in zone 6) but I just moved in here a month ago and was not able to till until now. I figured that I would have to wait unitl the Spring and put all my stuff in late like last year, but we have had a warm spell. My plans where to till up the new ground now and then in the early Spring work it a little more so I can plant my cool crops (cole, lettuce, peas etc.) asap. But here is my problem. I can't get my tiller to start. I have a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp tiller that is not even a year old. We got it last March. Now it has been sitting in my garage since May, but I checked to make sure there is gas and the spark plug wire was on. I have tried every combo I can think of just in case I rememberd it all wrong. I put the choke on, choke off, put it on the rabbit then on the turtle. (Don't ya just love the pix?) But them both in every combination possible and it still won't start. I finally gave up as the sun is starting to go down and I will be out of sunlight soon. But if it is nice tomorrow I would like to try this again. And maybe this time get it done. Is there anything I am missing here? Should I just give up? I am pretty hacked off now so I will probably keep on trying just to prove to myself that I can. LOL! Also , when I am done, should I do anything to winterize the tiller? It will be stored in the garage. Should I do anything to winterize my lawn mower too? It will be stored right next to the tiller. I want to take real good care of these things as I don't know how to work on them if something breaks. Thank you all in advance for any and all help!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

2. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

All I have ever done with either my tillers or mowers is burn the last of the gas out although I know there are additives a person can add. Then, in the spring, start with a fresh oil change, and clean the little air filter things on my mowers. I would honestly like to know also, Debbie, for I am sure I am not doing something right. Mine have a garage, also. Thanks. That is a very good question. Deb

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Your tiller and mower need two things to run, a spark and fuel. Some things you can check---if there is a fuel shutoff valve for the tiller make sure it is opened. If you tried to start it too many times it may have flooded. Put the machine in the off position, remove the spark plug. Is it wet/oily? If so, clean it before putting it back in. Connect the wire to the plug and pull the cord. You should be able to see a spark jump across the plug. If not, try a new plug. Still none? take it to a shop. Spark? put the plug back in, make sure tank has clean new fuel. Put it in "rabbit" position. Try 4-5 pulls. If not starting take it to the shop. These are the simplest insturctions I can give if you're not up to "fix-it" speed. As for winter storage, change the oil before you store it so you don't allow dirty oil to attack it over the winter. Pull plug and give it a squirt of oil. Clean all of the dirt off of it to prevent it rusting. Sharpen blade and clean air filter. Either burn or drain the gas or add a fuel stablilizer to the fuel tank (I just run it till the gas is burned off). If it has a battery to start it, clean the posts if they're dirty ( like to recharge my battery in the winter every month so it doesn't drain too low). Should be all you need. Spend a day of it, cleaning and sharpening all your other tools also (shovel, hoe, spade, clippers, ect). Makes the first day of planting much more fun, gives you a chance to play outside when the snow is still on the ground.

4. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

WHat Wily said. What is the brand of the tiller. Sometimes you can take the air cleaner off and spray some starting fluid in the carb throught. About 2 sec. Don't try this to much cause it can dry our the cylinder. Is there a primer button on it. Some BS engines have a rubber button by the carb you have to push three or four times. Is there and on off switch. You should have the throttle set just above the turtle sign. Bout all I can think of

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

What Willy and TN said, 'specially about the starter fluid. Just be careful so you don't eat away the rubber. DS did that for quite a while with ours when we were having trouble getting it started, but the rubber diaphragm broke down with all that ether.

Mine starts with the throttle by the rabbit, though, and then I run it closer to the turtle.

Also, did you check the oil level? The lawn mower got run out of oil by DS (are you seeing a pattern with DS and my garden equipment?) and ever since then, is very touchy if the oil isn't topped off. That's okay, though, because DH picked up push mower for us at the flea market. :D

If your tiller is a Sears, you may be able to find help online.

Good luck!

Pony!

6. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

You have a good point about the oil Some of the BS engines have a sensor that will shut the engine off if the oil level is not up to snuff. I would check for that.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I expect that by now you have gotten the tiller started and are done for the year, however if not I'll toss in a couple of cents worth.

I mildly disagree that an engine needs two things to run, fuel and spark. An engine also needs compression and an air/fuel mixture. Since this engine is virtually new there shouldn't be any compression problem.

Unless you have tilled for a really long time in dusty conditions there shouldn't be any air cleaner restriction due to a dirty filter.

Does your machine have safety switches on it? Such as the engine won't start if the tines are engaged, or if the unit has driven wheels they must be in neutral before starting. A handle bar grip that must be held in a certain position while pulling on the rope?

Is the engine trying to start at all, i.e. does it attempt to run at all?

As others mentioned, there may be a primer button that needs repeatedly pushed until you can feel the resistance of fuel within.

Is there a fuel tank shut off as others mentioned?

Is it cold there and could gas tank condensation have frozen in the bottom of the tank or in a fuel filter?

A nearly new engine should start right up on the first few pulls if there is good gasoline in the tank.

Best wishes.

8. oldduke

oldduke Member

Just my 2 cents. It does'nt matter what brand of tiller it is. It matters what brand the engine is.Take the plug out and put about 2 tbl spoons of gas in cylinder.Put plug back in.Set throttle between rabbit and turtle.Do not choke.Pull starter cord a few times.Maybe 6 or 8 times.Does it start then stop? Does it keep running? If it keeps running i've said enough.If it will not keep running you need a repair person to look at it as the causes are many.

9. Abe R Crombie

Abe R Crombie Well-Known Member

Hi Debbie,As said in previous post you need spark and fuel.You can take the plug out ground it and turn engine over to see if there is spark(don't touch it though while pulling cord)If you can see the spark jump your good there.Next is fuel,also mentioned put a few drops in the the cylinder then replace the plug,try it,should run for a couple seconds or keep going.If it stops your not getting fuel and is likely a stuck float valve or plugged jet in the carb. bowl, happens from sitting.Hope this helps,good luck,
    Abe