Having the snot knocked out of us in Missouri

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by reluctantpatriot, Jan 5, 2005.

1. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Right now we are being flooded all over or dealing with ice and snow here in Missouri. If for some reason we lose power or phone here at home, please know that we should be ok as we are up on a ridgeline with the animals reasonably safe from the elements.

If I can get my car out across the low-water bridge, I will be trying to get my newspaper job work done and getting some animal food just in case this gets worse before it gets better.

This is Aaron, on a homestead about 1/2 mile from the Lake of the Ozarks and Gravois Mills, MO.

2. marknfl

marknfl Member

I had times like that growing up in northern Ill. Showed in for a week the sheriff sent people out in snowmobiles to check on outlaying house. One day a man in a snow suit knock on the door and said he was with the sheriff's office and wanted to know if we needed anything and if everything was ok. They would pick up basic supplies and bring them back if you needeed something and could not get it yourself.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Aaron don't try to go over that bridge if water is over it.Their pulling too many out of the creeks as is.It might turn to ice before dark.

My wife had to go to Camdenton she knows she is going to have to go long ways around,because of Low Water Bridges.

big rockpile

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

We are having an ice storm here in western OK too. I'm staying home! You all take care and stay home if you can.

5. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

well, our forecasters have been pushing this one back every day, and a bus driver told me if they pushed it back to July he wouldn't give a crap! LOL Might bbe a slow mover.....quincy, IL is realtively ok....schools are all closed, but I got around just fine!
    Michelle

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well, I live in Kansas and I am staying HOME!

It should be better in a day or two. DH did go into work, but then he is needed to answer the phones when distressed citizens call in with problems. City Hall always needs every warm body they can get when the weather is this bad.

Still, it isn't cold, and if the temps just rise 4 degrees it will all melt off. If it doesn't melt today, it probably will tomorrow. The salt trucks are out, but it takes time to cover all of the streets. I intend to stay put until they do! ;)

7. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

It has been clear and near 80 here in north central Alabama which is about 15 to 25 degrees ABOVE normal for this time of year....that replaced the BITTER cold we had all through Christmas....we are having strange weather....

8. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

bAMA...GET use to the heat for a while longer...sure looks like the warm wants to stay around in the southeast as of late...

we've had a few bouts of ice in the past week...that stuff is no fun. Luckily we didn't have enough to bring down power lines. Everything is glazed with about 1/4 inch still...except the roads.

good luck

9. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I hope this weather passes quickly for y'all and that all are safe. :)

10. Cyngbaeld

The wind is really howling here! Blowing all the heat out of this drafty old rental house. Don't think it has much insulation either. Almost makes me think I'm back in Colorado! LOL

11. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

12. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't been able to get out to go to work all week, and not likely to in the next several days, looking at the forecasts. I have a little creek I have to cross to get to the road. Usually it's just a few inches deep, but since Monday morning the bridge has been under about 3 feet of fast-moving water. We live on a hill so we're safe, but I hate using all my vacation days this early in the year!

13. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Big Rockpile, I have some family living in Macks Creek. You go by there sometime, give 'em a wave for me.
    I hope the nasty weather quits soon. Here in Ohio there are flood watches, we don't want a repeat of the fall flooding.
    Hope all you folks do well thru it.

14. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Patriot, do you live close to Jacobs Cave, or the other direction towards Laurie? We usually stay at one of the motels in Gravois Mills when we go to the the big swaps at the Meadowlands in June and October.

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Well it quit raining,light snow now.Margo that is really where my wife is going she has a patient down on J road.Over half our Church is from Macks Creek.

big rockpile

16. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

We live north of K.C., MO and we have lots of ice here, plus bitter cold winds today. Hardly anyone moved yesterday, but getting better today. Electricity was out some night before last, but fortunately only for about three hours. Since we still have ice all over the trees it could happen again. I'm so thankful for electricity! And those electric crews that were out that cold winter night in the sleet storm fixing our lines----thank you, thank you!

17. Cyngbaeld

Sun is shining and the ice is melting here in OK. A dishpan that is sitting on the patio has 3 inches of ice in it. It was empty before this started. (It is not under the eaves). Daughter is out of bananas! Big emergency! Think she can wait till this afternoon when the roads have cleared?

Hope you folks that are still under the weather do ok. Thinking warm thoughts towards you.

18. reluctantpatriot

reluctantpatriot I am good without god.

Terra Planet, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy
    Yes, I am 7 miles north of Laurie, MO and herhaps 3-4 miles from Jacob's Cave. The area creeks have been flooding and the flat ground near the bottom of the driveway as beginning to look like a small lake.

I got out ok and back in yesterday, but the ice we got last night has made it impossible for me or my mom to get into our vehicles. We can walk around outside though.

It was 20 degrees overnight and right now, with a wind that makes you freeze. The animals are ok, though the chickens haven't dried out from all the rain and now are damp and now frosted. :waa: I hope they dry their feather soon. They are not into having me use a blow dryer on them. :haha:

We are lucky with the electric and phone, as the ice wasn't enough to affect them. The highway was quiet this morning as I couldn't hear the noise of tires coming up the ridge from Gravois Mills, a quarter mile away. Area schools and nutrition sites are closed all over.

We are ok, but I hope we have no more rain for a few months. The weather we have had in the past year is exceptional as we have had rain all year round rather than mostly in spring and fall. Time will tell if this is just a temporary or permanent change in our weather.

It is soggy and frosted-crunchy on top-soggy on bottom in places around here, but for the most part it is ok. We will have to see how the weather goes for us.

19. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Aaron! You keep your b--- off of that bridge if there is any water going over it at all!! If not, and you live, and I find about it I will personally kick your backside the next time I see you!!!!! We are looking for a couple that did just that the other day.They crossed, well.... tried to cross the lowwater bridge on their driveway so they could keep a dr.'s appointment. Now their bodies are somewhere in this river that runs in front of my house. They usually find all the drowning victims that happen upstream, right near us here. Something to do with the currents.
    I have helped recover them too many times.
    You are a homesteader. You can survive just fine on whatever you now have.
    Stay put til the water goes back down. Do you hear me boy? :no: