Having Pig butchered and need HELP.

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tracy in Idaho, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I always have one side of ham kept fresh and cut into roasts/steaks too. If you want to have your hams cured, you might call around to the other slaugherhouses and ask if you can take just the hams/bacon there to be done (if you don't want to do it yourself)

I have mine packaged as 4 lb roasts, 4 steaks/chops to a pack, 1 lb packages of (hot)sausage and bacon.

They also save all the lard for me and give it to me in a bag :)

Tracy

2. cARRIE

cARRIE Active Member

I'm a family of 2 adults and 2 kids under 10.. How would you have it packaged up. This place doesn't cure either. They put bacon in with fat and make sausage out of it. Does the fresh ham slices taste good. Don't forget everything is fresh not cured. I'm was wondering is it very hard to do curing. Maybe the next time I do them I'll cure some of the meat. Thanks so much everyone. I just love this site. cARRIE

3. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

To me fresh pork tastes some what like pork chops.

If they now how to mix the sauage right it can be real good.

Some others could have better info about this.

4. Mark in N.C. Florida

Mark in N.C. Florida Member

I always leave one of my Hams fresh. It is very good. I have the Ham split in half. I have never had it sliced into ham steaks fresh, but don't see why it would not work.

5. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Carrie,

Cure it yourself! If you like pork roasts then you'll probably like "fresh" ham ... same thing. I'll take the ham though.

You should ask for the bacon too ... don't let them grind it into sausage ... unless you don't like bacon. Cure the hams and bacon together.

You can do a search here and you'll get a lot of info on curing from my questions alone! You'll probably need some refrigerator space for a brine cure though ... you can do it in a 5 gallon bucket or two and can use the crisper drawer too. It's VERY easy if you have the space.