Having Faith

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have Faith?
    Faith in "knowing" when a doe's time is near?
    Faith in knowing that you could reach in their and help deliver kids?
    Faith in knowing that kids will sooner or later find momma's teat?

After 5 kidding seasons I can say "YES!" without the jitters....

Went out to milk and feed goats at 7am and my herd queen who is usually first in line to eat and not a talker... was laying down and talking to me with conviction....I brought her a little hay and milked Cleo and when I was trying to leave "queen of mean" hung her head at my belly and spoke to me..."the time is now"...no discharge... nothing.. so I gave her a treat...she ate it but still followed me down the fenceline so I went back out after bottle feeding little bucks born 10 days ago...she laid down in the manure pile and then it was time....I got her up and into a stall and the had a few contractions and a dribble and one hoof and a nose....I went in and got the other hoof corrected (there's alot of room in there :eek: ) and on next contraction we got the shoulders then the next we got the rest....a big girl named Faith :clap: Faith is 37.5%Nubian/12.5%Oberhasli/25%Alpine/25%Toggy.....can you say Dairy mutt!!!

Momma looks like she is still preggers with quads but this is typical for her...afterbirth was passed and it would be a surprise if she had anymore...Faith was born at 745am and finally nursed at 930am :bouncy:

Its a beautiful sunny warm day....a good day to have a baby!!! ;)

2. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Congradulations Mpillow! It is such a comforting feeling when you have those girls you've learned to "read". I'm glad all went well.
    What a mix! I bet she's cute. Will you post a pic of Faith and mom?

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

And a lovely story as well. I have "Faith" too and she's expecting her first in about a month.

Ruth

4. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the new baby! Our herd queen, who is a sweet heart, looked like she was going to have triplets at least, she had one HUGE girl that was presented wrong, however, by the time we realized what was wrong the baby was already too far out to push back in, thank god that queenie is a tough girl, she now has the biggest baby on our place, at least as far as last years babies go. Good Luck with your little one. Bye.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations. One of my first does was a very lovely, large Nubian who also always looked like she'd have a litter and always had one large, beautiful kid. Nice when it's a doe!

My Keisha talks to me like that when she is ready. She definitely does not want me to leave. Another doe just gets a look in her eye and I know it's about time.

mary

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Our last doe to kid last year was Cleo (Herd Queen's 1st daughter) had "Hope" because we were hoping for another girl...after 3 bucklings and only one doeling....

I suppose if we get another doeling out of the 2 girls left to kid it will be pure JOY!

Can you tell I find my inspiration in the barn???? :angel: Hey I could go for a 3rd ANGEL doeling....hmmmmmm :p