Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do have an otherwise excellent mineral but I've always been interested in this Buck Power mineral. In the summer one of our bucks got meningeal worm and he hasn't been normal since. Slow to breed, but that might be because his back leg was affected. We had a doe come over for breeding to him and he took forever to do it. Seems like since after the nasty cold snap he got weaker than he was before.

Gosh, this is a really two part question. Do you think Buck Power will help him, and is there anything else we can do to help him?

He's been wormed with Valbazen and ivermectin within the last two weeks, gets about a cup and a half of whole grains and alfalfa pellets mixed, get's grass and alfalfa hay, warm water daily, had his hoof trims and vaccines late fall/early winter.

I need to get him bred to my Kinder's just in case we loose him.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Good question. I've been curious on this as well. Have a small 3 y.o. Nigie buck that is a hard keeper.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I used buck power years ago and thought it was a waste of money. I now use a good cattle mineral w/ 1400 ppm copper and it does the trick. For the past few years, I have also mixed Diamond V Yeast Culture in with the goats mineral and the results have been great!
I do give Molly's Buck Booster to the boys every couple of days during rut and it seems to increase vitality and they do not get as run down as they used to (they maintain weight and coat is good). It gives their immune system a boost as well, so is good during dramatic weather changes (lately, nothing but here in the midwest! :Bawling:) or when they are a little off.
I don't give my bucks any grain but will occasionally feed them a handful of Quaker oatmeal.
Jenny, which buck?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
No offence but its not wise to breed a hard keeper, no matter how cute or meaty or how much milk, if they are not healthy enough to not need expensive care then in my opinion its wise to find heathier stock and make this guy a pet. (not directed at anyone personaly)

As far as the mineral I have not heard of it, so I cant comment but you can find other great minerals that would probably be compairable and not as expensive. If possible get a list of ingrediants and amounts.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Lois - little Jack from Sharon. He's real hard to keep weight on for how inactive he is and how small he is. However I just took the terror of a mini mancha buck to auction last week, so Jack doesn't have to watch his back anymore and Jack doesn't like snow much, so I think he sits inside until he's hungry then makes the 75 foot trek across the buck pen to the hay feeder. The six month old he's with is a little butterball.

I've got them on the goat mineral from Fleet Farm (which is suprisingly good! and I really like it), mixed with kelp and Diamond V. So hopefully with devil buck gone he'll come around better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts