have you started your seeds yet?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by justgojumpit, Mar 22, 2004.

1. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

i just started my seeds yesterday...

2 packs sugar snap peas
    1 pack pole beans
    1 pack cukes
    1 pack pickling cukes
    1 pack bell peppers
    1 pack butternut squash
    1 pack pumkinlike squash (dont know the name offhand)
    1 pack crookneck squash
    1 pack zuchini
    i still need to do one more pack of a different kind of pea and then i'm done

we're gonna expand the garden this year, we have deer proof fenced 21X14 but we're gonna get a bush hog and clear a patch of grass for all our squash, mulch with pine shavings and then hay. the pole beans will grow on tripods made of saplings between the squash plants.

what're you all up to?

good luck gardening!

2. Are you talking about starting in seed trays or out in the garden? Some of the seeds you mentioned I've never seen started in trays before.

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I have started some tomato plants indoors, and some spinach outside. I should have already planted my peas, but I have been busy with babysitting. I will have to plant them tomorrow. I just got a bunch of seeds from rareseeds.com. Yay!

4. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

you can add another packet of sugar snap peas to my list and a packet of eggplants.

"Are you talking about starting in seed trays or out in the garden? Some of the seeds you mentioned I've never seen started in trays before."

yes, unfortunately i am talking about seed trays, as we STILL have some lingering snow on the ground. the peas and beans are a real nuisance to start in the trays because you have to train them up little wodden skewers so they dont become a tangled mat of vegetation. i'm assuming those are the ones you've never heard of starting in seed trays. any others that puzzle you? If i dont get a head start now, the plants will still be producing (and they always are still) when the frost hits. at least now when the frost hits in fall, my garden is starting to wind down anyway.

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Mid to late february for me and I keep starting seedlings throughout my season to have replacements.

6. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Under lights, in the dinig room,we now have
    Artichoke
    Cardoon,
    Hot Peppers
    Jicama
    Parley
    Dill
    Cypress Vine Flowers
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Groundcherries

Tomatoes and Peppers are coming as plants this year 'cause I promised my hubby I wouldn't start any seed inside this year :haha: :haha:
    (I tried!!)

7. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted four boxes with a large variety of cold tolerant greens.

I also started seeds indoors under lights for:
    eggplant, ancho chilis, serrano peppers, hungarian sweet peppers, santa fe grande yellow peppers, vinca, culantro, thyme, and basil

April 1 I will start indoors:
    tomatoes (6 varieties), beets, broccoli, and cabbage.

8. LindaT_AK

LindaT_AK Well-Known Member

Usually starting in Mid April I start most of my seeds indoors. We have such a short growing season that I have to start almost everything and transplant into the garden.
    Unfortunately this year I won't be doing that as in June first we will be making a tremendous move across country. I am hoping that when we get to Maine that I will be able to quickly get a small garden going, but I'll have to direct seed everything in the ground.
    Let me tell you....it is so hard to stop myself from planting right now. The days are longer and my sun room is so nice at this time of year. Today is is snowing hard out. Suppose to snow for the next couple days.
    Good luck to all your gardening endevors (sp?)
    Linda T.