Have you noticed???

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Speciallady, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

That less and less people are putting Christmas lights outside? I miss it. I love to take an evening every holiday season just to drive around looking at Christmas lights, and all the creativity.

2. Melissa

Melissa member

I think it costs too much money. And I feel bad to use all of that electricity!

3. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I only miss the nice and simple decorations, I see way too many tacky ones that I actually would rather see nothing than horrid displays.

4. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't see as many halloween decorations and trick or treaters either.

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I'm sorry. Just plain laziness, that's what it is. :(

6. Melissa

Melissa member

I'm not lazy, just TIRED!

7. Deena in GA

Deena in GA Well-Known Member

Actually there are more and more lights each of the last few years in our area. In fact, this year people have put up quite a number of them already. I prefer to wait until after Thanksgiving. I love all the lights and other decorations, except these new big snowglobes. They look tacky to me, but that's a personal preference I guess.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'm with Melissa... I'm too tired!

My mother was a SAHM and would Launch Christmas the day after thanksgiving. In retrospect it was Competitive Holiday Decor right out of a glossy magazine and it must have taken her DAYS to get the whole thing assembled. But it made her happy, and as hobbies go, was pretty harmless.

I do find myself, though, wishing I had that kind of time and energy. Somehow a couple of pine branches and a candle don't seem to say "holiday" the way my mother's fully decorated home did.

9. kars1995

kars1995 Well-Known Member

We do line the house and barn rooftops with white lights. We hang a huge lighted wreath on the barn and a smaller one on the front door of the house. Inside we will just have a tree and candlestick lights in each window. So it's not overdone or looks tacky. Just simple and clean. The less is more kinda idea.

10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL Sweetness,
    Id like to point out that its not even Thanksgiving yet! Wait for it!!!
    I love Christmas but personally it bugs me when they are playing Christmass songs at the stores before halloween! :shrug:
    Its like they are jumping right over Thanksgiving because they cant make enough bucks off the one real american holiday.

11. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

We have some really nice lightening in our area. We have an old timey town square with mature trees, they've been working on the lights for a couple of weeks now.

Nothing will ever be as bad as what I remember as the Carter holiday years. Remember how Jimmy Carter promoted saving energy?

The best outside decorations I ever remember were in my former hometown. Started with two neighbors trying to out do each other, ended up with the entire subdivision. It was like a fairy wonderland. There were rumors that most of the storage buildings in the subdivision were used just for Christmas decoration storage.

Hope you get your wish.

Marlene

12. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the decorations, our house is over 100' long, with the garage, and with a big deck--the lights are georgeous--but too doggone expensive, not to mention neither of us can put our own lights up anymore. our elec bill jumps 50--75 dollars when we "light up" so-no, much to my regret, no lights for us this year. no tree either (sob:sob)

13. Melissa

Melissa member

A nice substitute tree is to find a bare tree branch with lots of little branches sticking out, put it in a bucket with sand or even dirt if you don't have sand-to hold it in place, and decorate it with lights and bulbs. It isn't exactly the same, but many people on here have used this idea in a pinch. It is better than nothing and NO NEEDLES!

Something like this:

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p19651522-k24-g1

But you can get as big of a branch as you like.

14. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

Our whole neighborhood decorates, we are called Candy Cane Lane and my dh does the computer generated light displays. We don't even start until Thanksgiving, that's our family tradition. I know exactly what the meaning of Christmas is and one of displays, the biggest I might add, says it all, Jesus is the reason for the season. In beautiful lights and a star. The kids loved to work with dh on the displays and still come over to help him put out the lights.

15. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

I just put up our lights, it seems they need to go up earlier each year...I used to have a rule that no Christmas lights until the first weekend in December, now we are putting them up before Thanksgiving, before long they will be up at Halloween....bah humbug. What a crock of @#$@.

For a quasi Christian holiday pretty much stolen in entirety from the old Roman Winter festival, I think we have strayed a long ways from the meaning of Christmas....I caused quite a row with the family a few years ago when I pointed out that no where in the Bible does it state that Jesus was born December 24th around midnight.....Don't get me wrong, I am a christian, I just have trouble stomaching the hoopla about the 25th of December.

16. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

I've always preferred "subtle" myself. When I was a child, I was so captivated by houses that looked like "homes" at Christmas. I recall seeing a single candle in every window and a red bow on the door and wishing with all of my heart that I lived there.

The department stores in downtown Boston in the 1950's were spectacular..I've never seen anything like them since I was little. It was just like walking into a magic wonderland..there was "home" Christmas and there was "downtown" Christmas and it was two very separate things.

The very best Christmas display that I've ever seen on any individual's property was in New Jersey..A man and his wife built a nativity scene out of simple plywood and hay bales..they added 2 spot lights. Every night for two weeks the place was empty, but lit up. Then one night, a huge star appeared on the top of the makeshift "stable". A few nights later, the man and his wife were there, dressed as Joseph and Mary for two hours. Night after night, "new" people and things appeared..a real donkey, 2 real sheep, a real cow, and they had a narrator read from the bible.."and a star appeared to them.."
    By Christmas eve, so many people were there it was WONDERFUL..real animals, people dressed as sheperds, angels, ..all came to hear the bible read, and at midnight everyone sang "silent night"..no real newborn in the manger..it was just a tad cold..LOL..but they used a doll and did a grand job of everything. I'll never EVER forget that as long as I live.

17. Melissa

Melissa member

Wow Lesley, that gave me the shivers, it must have been a wonderful experience.

18. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

It also might be because of theft. The last year we were in town someone stole all our christmas decorations and lights on our front fence. There was just an article about halloween decorations being stolen off peoples lawn. So maybe it's happening other places as well.

19. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

The best place to go see at christmas around here is a living nativity scene that a church puts on. It runs Friday and Saturday night through christmas eve and they even bring in real farm animals for the manger. It's in town and you can drive around the block to see the whole scene.

20. Sharon in NY

Sharon in NY Well-Known Member

I don't claim to be an expert on Jesus, but I would think that wasting energy and polluting the environment wouldn't have been his first choice on how to spend his birthday. I find it much more likely he'd have voted for homemade decor and a nice check for the cost of running those lights sent to the poor. But that's just me.

Even though Christmas isn't my holiday, I love the smell of pine and the beauty of simple, tasteful, reusable and renewable decorations. Like Lesley, I have wonderful memories of my small town and various cities decorated with pine boughs, candles and snow - natural beauty. The big shiny plastic reindeer and lots of lights just look tacky to me - particularly when you think what is happening to make them. And I feel the same about those who celebrate the miracle of Chanukah by sticking a big plastic menorah on their lawn - that worshipping G-d starts from honoring and preserving G-d's creation.

Sharon