Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did. And this what I found! Going to vacuum this out with a large shop vac and extension hose.

• Wow
Reactions: Hiro

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have cleaned industrial ductwork in textile plants that didn't get that bad. Do you have a kennel in your living room?

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No kennel, but we did have two dogs and two cats in the house for a while. The filter for this at the furnace, and I would have to change filters periodically, but they did not look like this! I am guessing that once this got a lot of dust, it would settle out rather than make it to the filter. This is about 30 years worth! I am going to create access panels and clean this every few years. Getting a new furnace as well and I think that will help as well. Only one small dog now so the fur is a lot less. Also, I think we will get an air filter for the house to cut down dust going back to the furnace. I am also cleaning the heat ducts but they were not like this but still could use a cleaning.

We have nobody close by to clean ducts. The nearest one wanted $1200 and I have to wonder if they would have even cleaned as much as I will be doing.

Reactions: tarbe

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
No kennel, but we did have two dogs and two cats in the house for a while. The filter for this at the furnace, and I would have to change filters periodically, but they did not look like this! I am guessing that once this got a lot of dust, it would settle out rather than make it to the filter. This is about 30 years worth! I am going to create access panels and clean this every few years. Getting a new furnace as well and I think that will help as well. Only one small dog now so the fur is a lot less. Also, I think we will get an air filter for the house to cut down dust going back to the furnace.
I understand now. I would consider adding a filter housing at the intake for the furnace.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Wow! I’ve never seen one that bad.
I run my furnace fan almost all year long for air circulation, even when the heat and AC are off. I am surprised how often I have to change the filter at the furnace , about 4 times a year.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the “after” photo. I will talk to the guy putting my new furnace about a filter housing. A large air filter/purifier should help too.

Reactions: Hiro

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a retired HVAC/R service tech, this is what we in the trade call "icky yuck". I went to school to learn this terminology.
Thanks. Now that I know that, I can finish this job with a professional touch :)

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is no small wonder that the house was always dusty when the heat was used! Been meaning to clean these for years. Now that I am retired (recently) I have the time.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the main heat duct taken apart at the middle. For sure needs a cleaning. Lots of small particulate matter?
I could have made this a reality tv show “Dirty Ducts”!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Wood Asphalt

Grey Wood Gas Tints and shades Composite material

·
Volvo With a Gun Rack
2,567 Posts
Nice work!

No doubt most houses more than 10 years old are in serious need of this maintenance.

I just rented a house in MO and I can tell you the parts I could see (furnace filter and duct grills and ceiling fan blades) tell me the ducts in that house probably look like yours DID.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts