Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
spellcheck is my freind!
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was on TV so it must be true. An amazing new trend is happening. Multi generations living in ONE HOUSE. Parents, grandparent, children all living together and helping each other out. Kids get to spend time with their grandparents and learn from them. How amazing!
<I hope you're getting the sarcasm here>
How did anyone ever come up with such an idea. You'd think that would have been something tried years ago. :p

Sometimes the news amazes me. :stars:

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
LOL! I heard this too! Had to chuckle. My father was killed by a car when I was 2 yrs old. My mom went 'back home' to live w/her parents. Already there was her G'ma. That made 4 generations in one house. Wasn't all that unusual...when my G'pa died then it was just my Great G'ma, G'ma, my mom & me...hmmmm...no wonder I'm strange... :)

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
Hee hee...it's just like reading articles or watching stuff on tv about living frugally and saving money. I usually just shake my head and say "DUH!"

For the record, I LOVE my extended family, but I think I'd rather take a bullet in the head than co-habitate with them. I'm am most certainly a loner. I'm guessing I'd last about 2 days tops.

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
Hee hee...it's just like reading articles or watching stuff on tv about living frugally and saving money. I usually just shake my head and say "DUH!"

For the record, I LOVE my extended family, but I think I'd rather take a bullet in the head than co-habitate with them. I'm am most certainly a loner. I'm guessing I'd last about 2 days tops.
After I was grown, I realized what problems there probably were in my 'extended family household'. Prolly why my G'pa died relatively young!

Patty

G

·
I grew up with my parents/grandparents/great-grandparents and one slightly nutty great-aunt all in one household..wouldn't have changed that for the world.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I wouldn't share a house easily, but a duplex or neighborhood would be nice... well, most of the time.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
My mother and father lived in the same house as my father's parents until we got our own house when I was 7. After that we kids still would go to stay at my grandparents' house every Friday night. My sister and I both spent some time living with my grandfather after our grandmother died, helping out with the house and keeping him company. My brother is staying there now, but I don't think he is too much of a help, but my grandfather still appreciates the company.

Kayleigh

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Regardless of who "invented" it, I think it's wonderful that people are doing it - and for the right reasons, too, not just plain desperation. I saw that news item; there are whole new subdivisions with this arrangement in mind. Think how wonderful that would be! Not only is your house set up for multigenerational living, with separate spaces so everyone can still have some privacy, but also your neighbors are similar so there will be social interaction for everyone too.

We were planning to build a little "wing" on our house for my mom to move into. She just didn't live long enough to get there. :(

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Yea it sounds nice and cozey,but around my place it wooduv been a ticking time bomb about to go off. Whats that saying,"A nice place to visit but I would not want to live there" Gen 2:24 "Therefore shall a manleave his father and his mother and shall cleave unto his wife and they shall be one flesh." Im greeing wid God :D Eddie MUSTA BEEN THE WALTONS

·
Registered
85 Posts
It was on TV so it must be true. An amazing new trend is happening. Multi generations living in ONE HOUSE. Parents, grandparent, children all living together and helping each other out. Kids get to spend time with their grandparents and learn from them. How amazing!
<I hope you're getting the sarcasm here>
How did anyone ever come up with such an idea. You'd think that would have been something tried years ago. :p

Sometimes the news amazes me. :stars:
Does that include brothers and sister-in -laws, nieces and nephews? LOL Could you imagine? LOL

·
just me
1,770 Posts
My grandfather grew up this way his parents never made a single adult decision in my great-grandfather's life and by the time my great-great grandma died my great-grandmother wasn't too swift at making them either. Her parents and her aunts and uncle who all lived there, plus her mother in law at one point made them all. In fact, my grandfather was in school before he figured out which woman was his mother. Personally, I could not live with any of my family. I've had friends stay and it worked but it won't with the nuts I'm related to by blood, for the most part they make me look sane.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
My mother lives with us. We renovated and added on to our house to accommodate her. There are positives and negatives.

My grandfather lived with us when I was a child. It was HELL on earth.

To each his own. My dh is from Turkey... they don't have anything such as nursing homes. The elderly have no place to go except to their family. Perhaps obligation makes it more tolerable.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Most of the big, sprawling farmhouses we see started out much smaller. As families grew additions were added on to accomodate extended family. My DH's family farmstead was built that way. It is now 6000+ sq ft and has been home to as many as 4 generations at one time. Currently, three adult siblings live in the house and the door is always open for a family member who may be down on their luck.

I have already told my oldest, who is working on making college decisions, that he can stay at home as long as he needs or wants to. (so long as he works and makes smart financial decisions - no laying on the couch while mom and dad foot the bills!!)
I wouldn't hesitate to add an apartment to the house for the kids if it would help give them a financial boost before heading off on their own. I figure that eventually one of our parents might need to make use of that extra space.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Same here - I like my privacy. I'd take in my inlaws or parents if they needed it, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Maybe if we grew up in a large extended family household it would be different. My MIL grew up with four generations in one big farmhouse, and she doesn't have that same sense of "needing her space" that I have.

·
chickaholic goddess
2,740 Posts
My DH son lives with us hes been here for about a year so far so good we can leave our lil farm and knowing hes here to take care of the home is wonderful. He is single no kids so that helps cuz our house is not that big. We are finishing a bay in the shop for housing in case someone else needs a place to stay. Granted it would be tough to have family members living here but I would not turn any away.
I tell my step son that we are all making sacrifices I am sleeping with his dad!!!LOL

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
My parents took Granny when she could no longer take care of herself. My mother in law grew up with multi generations living on the homestead. She had a widowed or maiden aunt that would take "turns" staying with the relatives. I think it is a great idea and only wish I could convince my mother in law to leave her place and come live with us....driving 70 miles round trip to help her out and take her to all appointments, not to mention the long distance calls arranging everything, really makes it more difficult on me. But the woman is stubborn and independent (independent in her own mind but dependent on us for transportation, labor in maintaining her home and 10 acres in the middle of farm country!). I think we would get along well and the children would be blessed having her here but convincing her and the other relatives (who do nothing to help out but would still "balk") to agree doesn't seem possible.

I keep telling my kids that their "inheritance" is going to be ME. They better be sure and build us a room or cottage on their property. Yep, one of them will get to inherit me and dh when we are old. :)

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Nothing new. Lean years cause families to turn to each other and God for help. Anything that brings us closer to each other and God can't be all bad!

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
It surley is a nice idea in theory..in my family it was a disaster in the long run.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
somehow I'm thinking my son-in-law wouldn't be too thrilled with that trend. LOL

not that we don't get along...we do. but..still couldn't see him wanting his in-laws that close. :) I know I adore my MIL, but can't really say that would be the case if she was living with us. I love my siser-in-law's old neighborhood...every house is a relative. aunts, uncles, grandparents. it seemed like a nice way to grow up. sure must have been easy to gather for holidays and also to help each other out, yet still have your own space and privacy when you need it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts