Have You Ever Run Over A Dog?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Mar 12, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Or Been With Someone Who Has?

2. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

Yep, In a Toyota Tercel. Went right over it. The dog did not make it and the car barely did. The dog just jumped out is front of me coming out of a curve. That has been about fifteen years ago. I once hit a buzzard in the backend as it was flying down the road with the hood of my truck. Don't even ask me about the deer that have hit ME :eek:

3. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Yup, twice. Killed both of them :( and certainly didn't help preserve the life of my car. Little buggers waited until I was right upon them and darted out in front of me, there was no way I could stop. I did stop once, picked one up and took it back to the owner and cussed him for letting the thing run loose :rolleyes: .

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Yep ... Hit GFs Rottie when he jumped over a stone wall and into the road in front of my 70s-vintage Plymouth Duster. Except for a few cuts and scrapes, the dog was fine.
    (For some reason, he never got too close to that car after that.)

5. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I was tooling down a remote country road on my motorcycle when a large German Shepherd ran out in front of me. I couldn't avoid the collision so I struck him broadside and over the handlebars and down I went. After skidding down the road for what seemed like forever I finally came to a stop.

As I lay there suffering from road rash, my bike suffering from $1,500 damage, a family of about 15 recently immigrated Vietnamese came up to me. They were an angry mob, some of them screaming in broken english that I had killed their dog. Luckily another motorist came along about then and I was spared whatever further abuse I might have suffered at the hands of these folks.

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Saw it happen. My father ran over a pup of ours. Stupid pup chased the truck, and went straight under the front wheel. I cuddled it until it died, and Dad went ballistic because it might have bitten me (and because he was upset about what had happened).

7. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

This happened in the city, hit a GS (well he hit me) driving in my old VW. He bounced off the fender and just stood there looking like ***?

Also had a deer hit me in a Dodge Duster, it was in the fall and I heard leaves rustling to my left side, looked and there he was. Slammed on the brakes, he hit the left fender, somersaulted over the hood and hit the ground running.

Nothing really fatal (just to the car and my nerves).

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Hit a Great Dane with my frtlnr in a rain storm at 65 mph that was a bad experiance as I could not avoid it there was nothing left of that dog, I was afraid there would be a kid running ouy behind that dog. that was a bad thought.

9. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I've hit several over the years, but the one that comes to mind was the one hit while taking my driver's test. :(
    It was a pup, the examiner and I knocked on every door for a block and couldn't come up with an owner.
    The dog died, but I passed my driving test.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I've hit three. One night a big old redbone hound stepped right out in front of me. Never saw him until he was at my bumper and didn't have time to react. He didn't make it.

When I was working as a mail carrier I backed over a Huskey puppy in the post office parking lot. I had run him back home, but while my back was turned he came back and laid down under my back tire. I had no idea he was there when I backed up. He didn't make it and I cried all day long.

Last one I ran over was on the mail route. House had about 20-30 dogs running loose and they always chased my car. One day one of the pups ran right under the car. I went back and told the folks I'd run over one of their puppies and they said, "We were gonna get rid of them anyways." UGH...I was to mad at those people to cry about the puppy.

Currently have a Black Lab mix who was run over by the mail carrier in my driveway. He's been in the hospital since the first of February. Just had his last surgery Wednesday to put a plate in one back hip. The mail carrier is not allowed to deliver to the house any more. She drives way to fast.

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

It really bothers me the thought of running over a dog. Fortunately, I once had a dog run into my vehicle on a town street and he bounced off the tire by chance and did not get hurt that much. In front of the house I saw a car hit a small dog so we brought him in. He was lucky to survive with little damage and had a rabies tag so we tracked down the owners. They were sure glad to get him back in one piece.
    I have howerver hit Deer on the highway...3 times! Twice was pretty severe front end damage on compact cars. The other was a spike buck that bounced against the healight while trying to cross the road. That was in a ford pickup and he bounced into a ditch of water. I got out and pulled the deer by the front legs to keep it from drowing as it was stunned. He lay there for a while to shake off the shock of the incident, then jumped over the fence and bounded away. I felt pretty good about that. :D

12. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Never a dog but once a bat flew into my windshield and it got stuck somehow under my windsheild wiper....wouldn't flip out and had to drive to work with bat staring at me! Yucky. A turkey flew into me once and my Neon seemed to attract birds...forever thumping them in the early morning...guess they hadn't figured out flying that early! DEE

13. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

No, and I hope I never do. I would cry for days as I love animals. I have had a few hit and luckly I didn't see it.

14. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Once - heading to work in Oregon - dog darted out in front of me. Hit center of the vehicle and came out the back. I stopped, the dog was on the side of the road and stood up as I approached, one eye was bashed in. My co-worker and friend stayed with the dog and I went to the house - the people said "oh well", when I got back the dog had gone back to the yard. A week later it was in the same place ready to dart into the road, so had to be careful through there every morning.

I had a dog get hit - my first dog. I lived in an apartment and took him to an empty lot across the street to run and do his thing. He was always very obedient and stayed close to me but for some reason decided he was going back across the street ahead of me before I could get the leash back on him. He rolled under the car and took off. Got back to the apartment and he was on the patio - only a scratch on his chin and a little stiff for all of that trauma, so that was an extremely lucky break.

15. daileyjoy

daileyjoy Well-Known Member

Travis I believe you about the tercel, We hit a deer in ours and it killed the deer but totaled our car.

Jennifer

16. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I backed over my dog Hush Puppy's back leg because he was sleeping under the car and for some reason I didn't notice. He had to have pin put in his leg. He lived a long time after that. That was over 20 years ago. If I wouldn't hurt anybody but myself I would do anything to avoid hitting a dog. I have stopped in the middle of the road before when my neighbors' dogs are in the road. Lucky it is a dirt road.

17. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I have hit 2in my driving lifetime.

The first when I was 17 and driving a deserted road. Dog walked in front of me at the last minute. I took it home and then to the vet to get him treated. I named him "Crash" and he lived with us until his death due to old age 6 years later.

Second one was the following year. A hound was chasing another dog and jumped out into my grill and died instantly. I wrapped its carcass up in a tarp and drove to the nearest neighborhood looking for its owner. The owner and I agreed to each cover our own losses over burying his hound and we formed a friendship I guess you could say. When he ran into me at the feed store 6 months later, he asked me if I knew anyone with unregistered black and tans. The man I took him to not only had free hounds to good homes, he had a son who ended up married to the daughter of the man whose dog I hit :)

18. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

I have hit dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, deer, coon, groundhog.

19. Lavenderlady

Lavenderlady In full bloom

I don't know why they were so mad, they probably were going to have it for dinner right away anyway. :confused:

20. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Tep, shure did. Didn't bother to stop and take a look. I was driving a W900 Kenworth pulling 27 tons of crushed limestone. Didn't even bend the bumper. Can't say the same for the doe and fawn I creamed in Springtown, Ark. about sunup on my way to Hillery International A.P. at Rogers. Altho I did help the lady and her teen age son tote the carcus's accross the highway to their housetrailer while I was bending the bumper back away from the right steering tire. The worst thing I ever ran over was a grown hog. Like running into a fire plug in a speeding Chevette.