Have you ever noticed???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ann Mary, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you ever noticed that when you want to BUY an animal you can't find them or they sell before you get there....but when you FINALLY have some of your own for sale and they are good quality according to "those that know" you can't sell them??? SIgh! I looked and looked for Fr. Lops and paid $25 each for them......finally got a batch raised in time for Easter and everything! Put an ad in the local paper for $20 each and NOT ONE CALL...but when I wanted them I couldn't find them! Well, anyways, if anyone is looking for Fr. Lops in central Idaho...let me know! I have 5 for sale! :rolleyes:

2. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I have noticed that and I am about to throw my hands up. It's not just rabbits.
    We have eggs, chickens, rabbits, goats, etc. It takes me forever to sell something. When I have to get my stock it costs me top dollar, but when I go to sell it I get a rock bottom price. I give up, I was hoping after two years I would be at least able to pay for the feed I'm buying. Needless to say, we are probably just going to downsize and just stop advertising and eat it all ourselves. We didn't do it to get rich or make a profit. But it would be nice just to have a little.

3. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

I can't ever find what animal i'm looking for so working with what I have. My Dad said you need to raise your prices! Reverse psychology! I know it sounds strange but what can you lose ? Try it ya might like it. Lol. Put them in a cage , go to walmart , pretend in your mind they are not for sell and believe me someone will want them and may pay what you want. What works for me? I invite people over for coffee and they watch the animals and decide they need some. Good luck!!

4. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

If only you were closer! I have been wanting French Lops but can't find any here. Don't know anyone going to Colorado, do you? Good luck!

Laina

5. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Often, when you can't find what you're looking for it's because there is no market for it. It might be helpful to talk to the people who work at the feed store. Find out what's being asked for most often.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Y'know, you need to run a small ad all the time, just something like "so-and-so rabbitry raises quality French Lops". Professionals say that small ads run regularily have more effect long-term than one big ad. Print business cards (you have access to a computer after all) and put them up anywhere they'll let you. Brag on your rabbits at every opportunity.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Have you tried your local Craigslist (www.craigslist.com)? I sell most of my small stock (potbelly pigs, chickens, ducks) that way, and run a Nickel ad for goats once or twice a year.

8. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

I was told that you couldn't sell animals on Craigslist. They "frown" on it.

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I had not heard about this Craigslist but I do have an ad on Palouseads.com......but no calls and in the local weekly free paper...no calls. If I had more than one litter to sell at a time I would go around to the feedstores and post ads but maybe I should do that anyways....I don't get into town very often so that makes it hard.

10. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Sometimes it takes a while to "get your name out". Someone did have a point: there may not be a market in your area for the breeds you raise. Perhaps offering dressed rabbit would be an option. (Make sure you research the health code laws in your state and county/town.) Again, running a regular ad is usually more effective than an ad once in a while. You may need to word your ad differently.

Putting together a website is often a good way to advertise. Companies like Yahoo, FreeWebs, and Netscape offer free website hosting (supported by pop-up ads). I did one, and it certainly has helped. Check out www.geocities.com/cremerabbits/index.html. Unfortunately, merely designing a website is just the beginning: you then need to get other websites to LINK to you so that surfers can actually FIND your website to begin with.