Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I realized, we moved here about 18 months ago from England, and in that time I feel somehow as though I must have aged ten years. I'm worn out, want naps all the time, ache all over frequently.

I don't feel especially "sad" but I do feel stressed somehow. I have palpitations, and I'm discouraged in my job search. I guess being 52 means no one wants you, other than places like wal-mart. I've been trying to avoid going to work in retail or fast food, because what I want is a job with benefits. Otherwise, going to work for minimum wage and no bennies, I may as well stay home. I would have at least a thirty minute drive to work anyway, and when you figure in costs, well, let's just say it's not worth the time and effort.

We moved back here to be closer to my family (parents and grown children) and to live out in the country. Living out here is wonderful, the quiet is something I'd missed in England since we lived in town. We have goats, chickens, dogs, cats, pork in the freezer, home canned goods on the shelves. This is what we wanted to do... so that's not the problem.

I can't figure out what makes me feel like life is so much harder here than it was in England, but whatever it is, it's stressful.

I don't go anywhere much, there's not a lot of activities in this area. I enjoy reading, so I read quite a bit when I'm not busy. My husband is wonderful and undemanding, really. He never complains or gripes at me - or suggests I should "do" whatever. (Far cry from ex-husband!)

I don't think I'm feeling sorry for myself - why should I? I have everything I wanted and I'm thankful and pleased that we have been able to do what we are doing.

Just trying to figure out what is going on - when I say I ache all over sometimes, it's like the onset of the flu, except I'm not sick at all. The aches are not a result of extreme exertion. Headaches are not part of the problem, though lack of energy is. I'm on thyroid medication and have been for years, recently checked and adequate.

My blood pressure is perfect, and I do not have diabetes, easy to know this because my husband does have it, and we have both the blood pressure monitor and the blood sugar apparatus at hand to check that.

Any insight would be appreciated, but do remember we have NO health insurance and I do not feel ill.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Could it be a symptom of menopause? I'm close to your age and I've had some periods of being out of sorts and very tired lately and I'm pretty sure it is the beginnings of menopause.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Making such a drastic life change can be incredibly stressful, even if its a change we welcome. One of the often missed symptoms of depression is the group of physical ones - fatigue, joint and muscle pains, general feeling of "bleh" can all be symptoms of mild depression, even if our mood and everything else feels fine.

Are you getting enough fresh air? Maybe some pleasure walks out on the property might help. Your DH sounds like a wonderful guy, but do you have any girlfriends to visit or talk with? That can make a big difference, I know I'm definitely feeling a lack in that department of my own life right now. If you haven't made any yet, might be time to get out and start getting to know people around town. If the right job doesn't turn up, you might consider volunteering even if its just a few hours a month. The change of scenery might do you good and helping others always makes me feel better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
moving from england to texas? i can imagine that changing from one climate to a climate across the sea would be a difficult thing for your body to adjust to. several months ago the question was about getting older and feeling like it. several of the responses said... work smarter not harder and that includes giving yourself permission to relax more often than normal.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I am unqualified to have an opinion on the medical end of things, so I'll take your word that you're generally physically healthy. My suspicion is that your aches and pains are physical manifestations of the stresses of job-hunting. That's always a rough patch, no matter how you slice it. Best advice I can think of is to keep active physically, and try to give your schedule some sort of daily structure. I've seen research that suggests that exercise is more efffective at curbing depression than anti-depressants. Maybe take a temporary job and/or volunteer work to get you mentally and socially engaged until the job hunt pans out for you?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I agree that moving across the ocean can wreak havoc on your body and emotions! That and looking for a job...be sure and take vitamins, drink lots of water and get outside for some good vigorous walking every day and watch your spirits lift. Take a camera and record the pretty things you see...it keeps you in the moment rather than stuck in your head. Good luck with everything, I wish you the best.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
I agree that volunteering might help, just to ease you back into an "off the farm" routine. Are you sleeping well? I battle insomnia and have found that lack of regular, restful sleep can cause all kinds of physical pains. The other thing that comes to mind is the heat of a Texas summer! I don't know how things have been up your way, but it has been SO miserably humid here that I literally have felt like I have 20 lb weights sitting on my shoulders as I do the daily chores. Do you engage in any sort of regular cardiovascular exercise? Even getting out for a brisk walk each morning, down the country road and back, could help.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
One other thing I might check into and that is make sure you do not have one of the autoimmune disorders such as Lupus, RA, Fibromylaga (sp) etc...often times, a major stress event ( such as your major move) can trigger the onset...in any case nothing wrong with checking this out.. In fact, I would have a general check up if you haven't had one this year. Wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Hip_Shot_Hanna said:
I don't feel especially "sad" but I do feel stressed somehow. I have palpitations,
Just trying to figure out what is going on - when I say I ache all over sometimes, it's like the onset of the flu, except I'm not sick at all. The aches are not a result of extreme exertion. Headaches are not part of the problem, though lack of energy is. .

Any insight would be appreciated, but do remember we have NO health insurance and I do not feel ill.
may be Lyme Disease

Have you had any of these symptoms lately? I have a friend who had the disease for months and didn't know it because she never found a tick on her or had a rash.

1. Rash at bite site or other sites
2. Muscle twitching of the face or other areas
3. Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills
4. Headache
5. Fatigue
6. Neck creaks and cracks, neck stiffness
7. Unexplained weight change (loss or gain)
8. Tingling, numbness, burning, stabbing sensations
9. Unexplained hair loss
10 Facial paralysis
11. Swollen glands
12. Eyes/vision: loss of vision, double, blurry, pain, increased floaters
13. Sore throat
14. Ears/hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain
15. Testicular pain/pelvic pain
16. Dizziness, poor balance
17. Increased motion sickness
18. Unexplained menstrual irregularity light-headedness, wooziness, difficulty walking
19. Unexplained milk production (lactation)
20. Tremors
21. Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
22. Disturbed sleep
23. Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
24. Confusion, difficulty in thinking
25. Upset stomach or change in bowel function
26. Difficulty with concentration or reading
27. Chest pain or rib soreness
28. Forgetfulness, poor short-term memory
29. Shortness of breath, cough
30. Difficulty with speech
31. Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
32. Joint pain or swelling
33. Mood swings, irritability, depression
34. Stiffness of the joints, neck or back
35. Heart murmur or valve prolapse
36. Muscle pain or cramps
37. Exaggerated or worse hangover from alcohol

READER ADVISORY: If you have symptoms or think you have Lyme Disease, ask your doctor for a blood test. Testing isn't definitive, but it can help you and your doctor to arrive at a clinical diagnosis and suggest treatment for Lyme.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, each and every one of you for your responses.

Menopause - hysterectomy at age 32 (but not ovaries) and then an ovary removed at age 40. One left. I've been having hot flashes for years now, and they were disrupting my sleep until I found the bedfan. Best investment I ever made for sound sleep under the circumstances.

I felt better physically, when I lived in England, no doubt about that. However, I'm originally from Texas to begin with, so it's not that sort of adjustment in most ways.

I'm as certain as I can be that Lyme disease is not the problem. The fireants have cleared out the ticks years and years ago, and I haven't had one on me for, oh, probably at least 10 - 15 years, and never had any reactions from a tick back then. Was even tested once for Lyme disease back then, and treated with antibiotic since the dr. said that tests weren't reliable.

My aunt and my daughter both have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but from the way they describe it, seems more severe than my own current difficulties and definitely more consistent.

Depression may be an issue. I had a bout of that, years ago. Again, moving to England really seemed to clear that up, oddly enough. And honestly, many symptoms of depression and low thyroid are the same, so once I was put on medication for that, depression didn't seem to be an issue.

Exercise... like I said, I feel so OLD some days. I'm not sure I could handle much more than walking up the driveway and back :( My legs literally ache and feel heavy when I go anywhere, and my sacroiliac joint is inflamed and hurting enough that it wakes me at night sometimes, not to mention causing me to favor that side when I walk.

However, I do believe that I should probably try getting some exercise. I recently purchased a revolving blade push mower which should get me some exercise and mow the lawn at the same time with no noisy motor or fumes to deal with. I could probably mow twenty minutes to a half hour every morning for several days to get the lawn done up, then I'd need to start over where I began.

True old age looks pretty bleak from where I'm standing right now when I feel so decrepit somedays already.

And yes, I reckon I'd benefit from getting out - except I tend to feel very awkward around folks I don't know, and THAT is stressful too...

Good suggestions though, and I'll try to implement a few of them. Thank you all!

HSH

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Well first of all you've relocated from a long ways away, so that in itself is stressful, let alone moving. A different environment can cause aches & pains too in some cases (high humidity, heat, cold).

Looking for work and not finding it is very stressful too.

Is there a possibility you have arthritis?

I can relate to some of what you're saying. Now that we're way out here in the country, it's 45 miles to family & friends and it's been difficult making new friends. That can become depressing. I'm not one to want to be a loner all the time; I enjoy people. I think living like most of us do, it would be easy to become a recluse to a degree. That's not a good life for me. So little by little, I've been getting more active. I started going to a women's Midday Conference monthly and meeting other ladies there. I've been asked to join a ladies birthday club a group in this area have where they just get together for lunch at each others' houses and have fun visiting. And I'm planning to visit 2 different churches which are much closer than the church we're members of back in the city.

One thing I've found is I feel much better if I get some fresh air in the house, no matter if it's winter or summer. So I air the house out a little every day, pulling in some fresh air.

Have you met your nearest neighbors?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Stress can do a lot of what you are talking about. Possible that your adrenal gland has become overtaxed and isn't up to snuff. I feel that way coming off prednisone (been up and down on it for 1 1/2 yrs) and am now considered adrenally insufficient but slowly improving. When I have energy I know it is getting better. Some days though I feel like I could sleep all day. If you felt better in England but are originally from Texas you may have some allergies to something down in Texas that you didn't have in England. The heat may also be playing a role. I get so incredibly sick in the heat that it overflows to my entire life, not just the actual time in the heat. It could be so very many things. It is so hard to be sick when you do have medical insurance. So much harder yet when you don't!

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
>My aunt and my daughter both have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but from the way they describe it, seems more severe than my own current difficulties and definitely more consistent.<

Ok, big red flag here!
Stress induced fibro. Both me and my sis have it. one of the major characteristics of fibro is that it changes constantly. Good days, bad days. Legs, arms, shoulders, hips... never know where or how long the pain will be there. Exhaustion, brain fog and depression too.

Its kind of like the chicken or the egg thing. What comes first the fibro or the depression?

The first year I had fibro it was BAD. Wheelchair bad. After 7 years it is down to "minor" aches and pains. Some days are worse than others.

Do some research. Diet and exercise helps. Some supplements do too.

·
Also known as Jean
1,509 Posts
HSH - I'm 53 and had many of the same symptoms you describe. I wanted to nap all the time, hurt all the time (esp in my hips), and had NO energy at all. Not very typical for me, but I was willing to believe it was aging. At my last check up, the doc asked me how I felt overall and I told him how miserable I was. He changed my anti-depressant from one I'd been taking for years (zoloft) to cymbalta and the change in my physical and mental well being has been dramatic. Within two weeks and certainly within three weeks, I felt significantly better. Its now about 7 weeks later and I rarely have pain and have much more energy. I urge you to consider that you may have depression. It can certainly manifest itself in ways other than sadness.

·
a yard full of chickens
688 Posts
Maybe your thyroid medicine needs adjustment? Major stresses can disrupt your thyroid. It's possible you just need a little higher dose. I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Hip_Shot_Hanna said:
My aunt and my daughter both have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but from the way they describe it, seems more severe than my own current difficulties and definitely more consistent.
HSH
I agree with Buffy, that throws up a big red flag to me too; I was going to initially mention it but didn't want to frighten you. I would probably seek medical advice if this continues or worstens, in case this is the problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts