Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our church service lasts about 1 1/2 hours total. Last Sunday I was kind of tired, but I was able to stay awake since the topic was very interesting. The preacher has been talking about Iraq and the Bible, riveting topic for most people. However I looked down the pew, and noticed one of our friends was asleep sitting up, Bible open on his lap. One of the small children yelled out and startled him awake! I guess if you are very busy it can be hard to stay awake when you sit still that long. I usually take notes to keep my mind focussed. So who here has ever fallen asleep in church???

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
We have always homechurched since about the age of 5 with me and my family. When we went to see my Grandma, we'd go to her church. I'd kick the pew ahead of me constantly out of boredom and all. I liked our homechurch better. I think I did fall asleep a couple times too lol.

Kat

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Yes, if it's boring and running more than 1 hour. I usually fall asleep when I have to sit and be still for long periods of time. When I'm driving I have to stop the car and get out to walk around a while if the trip lasts longer than 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
I have. If I've had a session with my heart problem, I am exhausted and it has happened. I warn the pastor ahead of time though.

Once, I was waiting for Roger at a store and fell asleep in the produce dept.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
We are studying marriage right now and my DH is always falling asleep..I tell him it's because he doesn't what to hear what he needs to fix!! Actually he falls asleep no matter what the subject... Guess it is a family trait..his dad also sleeps in church but at times he snores!! Gee that's got to be so inspiring to the preacher!!

I'm like you Melissa..I like to take notes to focus and remember later.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Only once and in all fairness I was about 8 and a half months pregnant with baby number 3 and number 2 who was 20 months at the time had been up the whole night before crying because of teething. (The children were in the nursery and I was sitting in the back pew by my self.) The usher came over to me and lightly tapped me on the shoulder and said the service was about to get over - he didn't want me to be embaarssed if peoeple started filling out and saw me. I was really embarrassed anyway! At least I didn't snore! :)

·
Mom to 6 great kids!
352 Posts
I don't have that problem, but dh does.. and not just w/church, ANYWHERE he sits down, he'll fall asleep. It is VERY aggrevating. I usually move and sit next to him during the sermon, so I can keep him awake. :)

Jenn

T

·
0 Posts
My Dad would SNORE in Church. Made the 7 year old twins who alwasy sat in front of us giggle. They'd get in trouble for giggling. That would start me giggling. Then I would get in trouble. Once my Dad did a really loud, waking up snore and I thought the preist was going to exorcise him!

When you fall asleep just wake up and say "In Jesus Christs Name, AMEN!"

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't fall asleep, but DH is notorious for it. When we go together, I hold his hand so I can wake him up and not be obvious. When he goes alone he just sleeps and snores. Nobody bothers him.
Jo

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
My FIL will fall asleep in church easy! But he falls asleep everywhere. Once, before be retired from being a business owner, he fell asleep in front of a customer. LOL

There was this one customer who came in a lot more to just talk than anything else (the other clerks took a powder when they saw him coming). He'd drone on and on about whatever came to mind, and could almost put the best of the wide-awakes asleep. Anyhow, this time he caught the FIL sitting at the counter, and proceeded to go on. FIL lasted about 10 minutes and promptly fell asleep sitting up. Did the customer notice? NOPE! He just kept talking! :p One of the clerks casually walked over beside him and nudged his foot with hers. He woke up with a bit of a snort, but no one was the wiser. The customer was still talking. :D

I have a bad habit of falling asleep in cars if I'm not the driver.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
That's a whole other thread!

Thank goodness we have padded pews!
ROFLMBO! Amen, Ardie, Amen! And thank goodness for my 3 younguns to blame when the padding fails :angel:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm Roman Catholic so we are not there long enough to fall asleep. Most masses are over in about 45mins. Plus we have the Catholic Calistinics(stand, sit, kneel, repeat) working throughout mass so you never get comfortable enough to sleep.

·
Registered
988 Posts
No, can't say that I've ever totally fallen asleep.......have closed my eyes for long periods of time, though. I do take lots of notes and I am a professionial doodler. I listen better if I'm writing. Our preacher just finished a 2 year study on Genesis and it was very interesting.

The farmer has slept many times in church. It's hard for him to sit for over an hour without falling asleep. Even if he is sitting at home that long he will fall asleep and has every since he was young.

Now, Melissa, inquiring minds want to know what your preacher said about Iraq and the Bible.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Bow your Head close your Eyes.Ok Pastor don't take too long :sleep:

We was setting in front of one of the Decon heard him back there snoring.

Use to go to a Church if you was caught sleeping you was called to lead in Prayer.So thats what I did about every other Sunday :shrug:

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 35 Posts