Have you canned veggies off-grid?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lilyrose, Aug 27, 2005.

1. lilyrose

lilyrose Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how those of you living off-grid manage to can produce, meats, etc.?

Do you use a propane stove?

A wood heat source?

I know the heat needs to stay even so how do you do it?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

A gas stove------Works Good-------You can do it out in the yard as long as you have some kind of wind block on your "cooker"(gas stove). A little camper stove like the ones that use little propane bottles---For get it--Takes a long time to get up to boil/steam--------A turkey cooker type stove works Good. Randy

3. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Yes, I have been canning meat, fruit and vegetables off the grid ever since I moved here six years ago. I can use either, my wood cookstove or my propane cooking stove.

But even after people got electric, many of them kept their wood cookstoves for exactly that - canning. Sometimes, they put them in their basements or on a back porch.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister in law coldpacked all her stuff in a big wash tub on a wood fire in the back yard. I don't remember for sure, but it seems like she could do 21 quarts at a time. We have used a gas grill to can on.

5. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

We (Nancy -- I help) use Katie-The-Cookstove for the water bath canning and heating water and lids. For the pressure canner we us the camp propane stove if inside, and on hot days the side burner on the BBQ Nancy's sister just gave us.

When we didn't have the BBQ we just used the camp stove. The propane is easier to requlate and keep constant, which is important for the pressure canner: you know -- you have to keep the pressure constant.

Alex (and Nancy)

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We live off the grid and it's no harder to can here than on the grid. We have a normal Kenmore self cleaning range that we converted from gas to propane. I am looking for a wood cookstove to put in an outdoor kitchen for baking bread and canning, when the weather is hot.

7. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Gas works well--I wish I had a gas stove to use, I hate using the electric one for canning. Wood would also work good too if you're good at controlling the heat...

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Gas stove mostly, tho I have used a solar oven as well.

9. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I am not off grid...but I do all my canning outside with a turkey fryer burner these days. Works great! Last time I canned indoors I peeled the texture off the kitchen ceiling with the steam.....Not fun.

Shane