Have you all heard about NAIS?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farm girl, Sep 28, 2005.

1. farm girl

farm girl Member

Hello all!
    I am new here, and I would like to bring up something that I have recently heard about myself. I am talking about the USDA's plan to make NAIS (National Animal Identification System) mandatory. They mean to register every single chicken, cow, goat, horse, sheep, etc. anything that can be construed as livestock. Anyone who owns even one of these animals would have to have the animal affixed with a tag or microchip with a 15-digit ID number, computer readable, designed to be read from a distance. As in by satellite. The owners name, property, address, phone number would all have to be registered as well. There is a petition up speaking against this plan, I would really appreciate it if you would all sign and spread the word to anyone else that would be affected by it. Thanks.
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/369063795

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

would it cost us very much money to do this? i can kinda see the benefits of always knowing where your pet is and being able to look it up on, say, a webpage and seeing a sattelite image of where it is! would this be possible? why are people against it?

3. lacesout

lacesout Well-Known Member

I looked at the website. The whole thing looks bizarre and kind of frightening. I wish they would do that to convicted sex offenders instead of my chicken.

My two Nigerians are microchipped. But I did it because I wanted to. I would deeply resent the intrusion of having to. The chips were 35.00 each from the vets. Kinda expensive for a chicken.

I am totally opposed to the intrusion. Thanks for the info.

4. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Well, I had heard rumors here and there about it. I have to admit, when I first read the petition site I was wondering if it was actually accurate information or not.
    So I did some "research" and came up with this site: http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/about/pdf/NAIS_Draft_Strategic_Plan_42505.pdf

It is the USDA's own site and after reading it, I decided that I really don't like what I read. It sounds okay on the surface, but when you keep reading and it continually speaks about things starting as "voluntary" and steadily becoming "mandatory", I begin to get more suspicious. I want my animals to be healthy and happy, but I figure that small farmers have being doing that for years on their own.

Things that make you go hhmmm....
    mamabear

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

ear tags are stupid ideas for goats especially. personally, i will never ear tag my goats or those i sell.
    its stupid, tagging/microchipping for those who sell a few animals a year is not going to help anything. it's just going to cost us more. Yay. im not doin it.

6. Eunice

Eunice Well-Known Member

Remember the mad cow scare in Washington state awhile back and how they traced that cow to the stall she was born in, in Canada? I got an e-mail stating that we should give a cow to every illigal alien as they enter the country and that the government will never again lose track of them. Does this identification thing mean again that the honest people get burned and the crooks still get away?

7. rich2748

rich2748 Well-Known Member

Sounds like Government trying to control everyone again. Orwell's Big Brother lives. One day we will all need some sort of tattoo or implant to be legal.

8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

It's one of those great sounding ideas in the abstract, with lots of problems in the actuality.

The notion of being able to track animals to control disease outbreak sounds wonderfull. An animal with disease X can be tracked back through it's entire history, and the disease successfully contained. Millions of dollars saved, etc.

The actual practice on the other hand... I think it's going to wipe out the small homesteader and recreational farmer. It's in poultry particularly. It does allow for numerical identification of a flock or group of birds, but only if the birds are always moved as a single entity. If you buy a few new birds to add to your flock, now you've got to ID every bird individually.

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Yeah rich2748---it is called the "Mark of the Beast." And they are starting with the beasts (and the birds!). It won't be long now! This is indeed scary. Time to go read Psalm 91.
    Blessings, Jillis!

10. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Been looking into this. I have read the draft proposal and listened to teleconference by the USDA. This should be of great concern to all small livestock owners. January 2008 seems to be the date for mandatory premesis and animal registration.

Here are some quotes from the NAIS website.

Q. Who Will Pay for the Identification System?
    A. The size and scope of this undertaking demand that it be a cooperative effort. Because it is being developed as an industry-government partnership, it is expected that industry and the government will share the cost of the necessary elements.

The NAIS plan is being developed as an industry-government partnership, so it is expected that industry and the government will share the cost of the necessary elements. At this point, we do not envision any significant Federal funding being used for individual animal tags or other such devices.

The "industry" - fancy talk for you the owner of the animal - will be paying for the tags, the readers, etc.

Can't afford your own equipment - you have to pat someone then. "USDA recognizes that not all animal owners will have facilities to individually tag animals before they leave their premises of origin. Therefore, animal owners who are required to individually tag animals that leave the premises of origin can elect to transport animals to an approved tagging station. They would pay the operator of the tagging station a fee to apply individual animal identification devices and report the identification information to a central information repository. Such tagging stations may include, but not be limited to, an existing livestock marketing facility, a veterinary clinic, a fairgrounds, or a facility specifically dedicated to performing tagging services."

Are there any exceptions???

"Under the current plan, animals that never leave a premises do not need to be identified. However, animal owners are encouraged to identify their animals and their premises, regardless of the number of animals present, since many animal diseases may be spread whether an animal leaves its home premises or not. Examples of such diseases include West Nile virus, foot-and-mouth disease, vesicular stomatitus, and equine infectious anemia."

BUT -
    Q. If a Person Only Shows Animals or Only Takes Them to Trail Rides, Do They Need to be Identified?
    A. When people show or commingle their animals with animals from multiple premises, the possibility of spreading disease becomes a factor. Those animals will need to be identified.

Tagging will include just about all the animals. "The NAIS is being developed for all animals that will benefit from having a system to facilitate rapid traceback/traceout in the event of disease concern. Currently, working groups are developing plans for aquaculture, camelids (llamas and alpacas), cattle/bison, cervids (deer and elk), equine, goats, poultry, sheep, and swine." Yes, fish will be need to be tagged as well.

They estimate the cost of EACH tag at $2. Just the tag. Does not include the reader.

"Yes, an animal production system can use group/lot identification if the animal owner is able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of State animal health officials that, through group identification and production records, 1) traceback to all premises that have had direct contact with a suspect animal can occur within 48 hours, and 2) the potential for commingling does not exist. Each group will be identified with a unique and standardized number. Verifiable records will be required to further document premises identification and dates of movement."

It seems to be aimed and developed for the large herd owner who can absorb the cost. I could not find anything in the documentation or webcasts or teleconferences that address the problems for small farmers.

11. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've heard all about it here in PA. Check with your local Ag. Dept. We found out our registered (tatooed) dairy goats do NOT have to be tagged. And our ID number is the ADGA ID with the letters PA at the beginning ... BUT DO NOT TATOO THOSE LETTERS ON YOUR GOAT, JUST THE ADGA ID AS USUAL!

Ruth

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I agree totally! That is totally rediculous!

13. Goat Freak

Our Boers are tagged, but that is because all except one are fullbloods. I do think that it is stupid to put tags on goats when either their owners don't want to, or when the goat is not part of, in our case, ABGA. We have mix goats, and would never even think about tagging them, sounds like a stupid waste of money. Our goats are really just pets that breed, so other than the Boers we do not feel the need to tag them.

14. Goat Freak

Oh my god, I have actually read about that, and have been thinking the same thing, rich2748 & Jillis. Spooky that it could happen so soon.

15. Goat Freak

I would sign, but I am not sure if I can, I'm only 14, so I guess not. If it comes down to it though I will ask every adult I know to vote no.

P.S, sorry I posted so many times in a row, but I wanted to comment on some of the other posts, and do not know how to get them all into one box.

16. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

A new organization is up-and-coming to fight the NAIS, and you can visit the forum at http://stopanimalid.org/forum/index.php to see what we're doing. A website with flyers and other information is currently in the works.

17. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

We have to tag all our goats here in Colorado for Scrapies and we have to have a premise ID number. It is incase a animal comes down with scrapies, so all goats don't have to be put down. I am ok with that. I am NOT ok with a satelite being able to track every move I do with my animals. Like some one said pretty soon ALL people are going to have to be microchipped. We I can't believe how the darn government thinks thay can get involved with EVERYTHING in our lives.
    They have enought to deal with, besides chickes, goats etc... :grit:

18. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

As of now, in Montana, goats that aren't sold or shown don't need ID. In registered goats, the tattoo suffices. In other unaltered stock, we must attach a scrapies tag when that animal is sold. Young wethers headed for market don't need ID. The government wants all livestock to have visual ID. I am against this. It's too Big Brother for me. I agree that this would be more appropriate on sex offenders and other violent criminals than our farm animals.

19. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

There are groups fighting this and I think if people band together it can be licked as far as the backyard goater goes. But the gov. can sneak this stuff into law if you're not up to speed. So the more people speaking up and signing petitions the louder voice you have for your side. The mandatory ID date as of now is Jan 2008. Not far away!

20. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I will not comply, this is just dumb. I can just see my self running around tagging new chicks this summer, what is next? my garden. think about this people, as this is going to effect every small homestead out there. they [the gov], is trying to drive us out. my animals are used on my homestead for me. not for sale, and I don't seel eggs, this is not what it seems. and how long do you think it will be before you are taxed for each aniaml? No this is not a good thing. and the 4h kid, he has to have his animal tagged, before he can getit and raise it for his 4h project? no, i vote no, and will fight it.