Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate spending money on electronics. And I really really don't want to after just finishing all the work on the house. But the stupid TV has lines running across the bottom of the screen, about 2" last night, this morning when Jacob wanted to watch Berenstain Bears it was about the bottom 4". It is impossible to ignore, and obviously getting worse by the day.

<sigh> So the cheap queen and the gadget freak are TV shopping this week. So far we've settled on an LCD type (less screen-burn problems, so I don't have to worry about some kid in my house hitting pause on the video game and wandering off for an hour), and about 40 - 46". Lance was shooting for 48", but I think I have him convinced that 40" is good for now and we can think bigger when we have to replace the other TV (which better not be anytime soon!!:mad:)

I guess the only positive thing is that Friday everything should be on sale, if we can just settle on what we want between now and then.

Suggestions, anyone?

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
No suggestions for brand but I've noticed that I like the picture best on the TV's that are 42".

Here's a list of the Black Friday sales for all of the stores, maybe you can find a good deal. :D

http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/

·
Registered
422 Posts
We really like our Vizio LCD, 42 inches, we got it over two years ago and I enjoy it. I think the 42 inch size is just right. It is a more affordable model of LCD, but we have had no problems with it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If anyone in the house is interested in sports or is going to be make sure to get a set with 120 Hz refresh rate as opposed to the standard 60 Hz. The slower refresh sometimes causes blurring.
The mid to higher brands (Sony for instance) have better tuners in them which is important if you'll be using an antenna (like us) as opposed to cable.
Bigger is better in the long term. We got a 40" and hindsight would have had us getting a 46" considering how long it's going to be around.
Pay attention to viewing angle. Not everyone will be sitting (or want to) front and center of the screen.
It was a tough decison considering the money involved but after considering several models in multiple stores over several days we ended up with a Sony XBR3. We wanted to be careful because if we made a poor choice we would be looking at it everytime we watched TV for a long time.

·
tom
606 Posts
last year the day after thanksgiving,k-mart had their sale.we got an oleiva for 250.00 normally 600.00.dont know why but nobody was buying them.ours is great.should have bought 2.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We're in the same market. We've decided on 42" lcd. I think we're down to either the Westinghouse or Sanyo. For us, it also requires a new table/center to set it on. Ouch. Merry Christmas to us :(

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Have you thought seriously about having one TV for your family? There's a lot to be said for sharing/negotiating/"sacrificing" so someone else can see his/her favorite. Sue

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but the one TV that is working is really too small to see anything properly. The kids use it for cartoons and video games, but you have to sit pretty close - not really good for whole-family viewing. Plus, it is kind of "on its way out" also.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
My only suggestion is that, if you are going to shop on Friday after Thanksgiving, go to one of the later discount stores that have lots of different departments.

The prices, warranties and knowledge of the sales people might not be as good as it might be in a specialty electronic store, but the wider variety of merchandise offered makes it possible to stop by the sporting goods section to pick out an aluminum bat before you have to face the bargain-crazed shoppers in electronics.

You can always put the bat back on the shelf after you've picked out your TV.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
You might consider a purchase from Circuit City as the rumors are that there will be extreme bargains due to the bankruptcy. If one were to add a Square Trade warranty with the thought the stores wouldn't be around you might really walk away with a bargain.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm. I think I've found one - it's the 1080p, 50,000:1 ratio, 40" (whew - convinced him 46" was waaaay too big), HD, and if I order it from Amazon, about $400 - $500 cheaper than in the stores.

We looked at the ones that are going to be on the "black Friday" sales, and they're all the exact same model, basically, and they're not the 1080p, with about a 25,000:1 ratio. Lance didn't like the picture on those, so they're pretty much out.

However, I see that Amazon will deliver personally and help station the TV, give a setup checklist and are also offering a 12 or 24 months no-interest thing. I have the money to pay for it, but if I can keep it in savings and earn some interest for awhile instead of putting it out all up front....

So, no confirmation yet, but I'll let you guys know (probably by Friday) what we do!

·
lost in my own mind
330 Posts
I'm a tv repair man and sounds like the vertical output caps are going bad, not knowing what size but in are shop down here in Ada cost around 80$ to 90$ to fix it. it still amazes me how often folks just through things away with out trying to see if it can be fixed first..

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Mike,

There still are tv repairmen? I thought they went by way of the shoe salesman and dinosaur;-)

RF

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Um, actually we just had this one repaired (different problem, can't remember what exactly) a couple of months ago. When Lance looked saw the lines, he declared firmly and up front that he was not spending any more money on this thing. Can't say I blame him, one more repair would cost more than we paid for the TV in the first place, I think.

Probably also has something to do with the fact that I called and called trying to get hold of the repair place to see if it was ready, and finally when I did he said "oh, yeah, it's been ready for two weeks". Oh-kay, you told me you'd call when it was ready. Didn't seem to phase him. Of course, I know not all repair places are that way, but we always seem to find them :stars:
. I think over all we ended up making two trips to get it dropped off, and two more to get it picked up, because the guy posts hours, then just closes up and leaves in the middle of the day, not even a sign on the door indicating when he was returning. I probably spent $30 extra in gas just driving back and forth!

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Man, I wish our 15 year-old Panasonic would die. I really want an hdtv:sing:

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Man, I wish our 15 year-old Panasonic would die. I really want an hdtv:sing:
LOL. You're reading my mind. I've always had a dislike of larger TVs; our current one is a mere 27 incher. Recently though, we've been Netflixing more often and with the letter boxing, the picture is really only two-thirds of the screen. We can't see what's going on!

All of a sudden, I told DH we needed a bigger set. You should have seen the glow in his eyes. :D Still, we'll wait until we actually need one. Sigh.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, it's done. I just ordered it, a Samsung LN40A750, with a 50,000 to 1 contrast ratio and 1080p - not that I really know what much of that means, but I am assured by my nephew the techno-geek that I will be happy with it. A big reason we went ahead with it is that Amazon was offering $200 off a Samsung blu-ray player with it, and the player was on sale for $199.99. Plus I qualified for the 24 months no interest deal, so I get to keep my cash for the moment - but I don't know if I'll be able to keep myself paced, or if I'll not be able to stand it and pay the thing off within three or four months.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
So ya got the blu ray free? Sounds like a heck of a deal!

·
Once I was seven years old
3,046 Posts
...Plus I qualified for the 24 months no interest deal, so I get to keep my cash for the moment - but I don't know if I'll be able to keep myself paced, or if I'll not be able to stand it and pay the thing off within three or four months.
I have faith in ya ;)

I've been eyeing one of those Vizio's myself. They seem to have a much better fluid picture than some of the bigger name brands. Wondering how long they hold up. Our last RCA only lasted two years. @ $500 I kind of felt let down by RCA, so now I have a beef with them. Have a smaller Magnavox that only lasted a year before the buttons on the TV went bad...and the buttons were used maybe twice in the time we've owned it. The rest was with remote.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts