Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

About 2 yrs ago I was making homemade soaps from melt and poor bases, I would add different oils and sents and make little bars. Everyone loved them especialy the ones with the emu oil in them. I would like to start again making soaps and candles and maybe later get into other typs of soaps such as laundry soaps and even lotions.

My question is for those of you who sell your soaps do you make them completly from scratch or do u use melt and poor bases? If you start from scratch what a good book to learn to make the basics? I really liked the melt and poor goat milk soaps but I dont have a dairy goat (yet) so can u use the goat milk from walmart?

Thanks for all advise.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have sold both handcrafted (m&p) and handmade (cp, hp) soaps. I never read any books for (bar) soapmaking only liquid soapmaking. I joined a few yahoogroups for soapmakers and found step by step directions online with pictures that I printed out and had spread out on the table while I made my first batch.
Good luck, make sure you have an accurate scale and have fun!

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
The only time I dabbled with M&P detergent bars was when I was making gems.

I've been making homemade soaps since 1999 and started with Norma Cooney's "The Complete Soapmaker". Since then I've added plenty of soaping books to my collection, but I like Norma's the best for her unbiased information and ideas.

There was a mistake in her book concerning pouring water into lye (it was an editor's mistake, not Norma's) Always pour the lye into the water.

I have a soapmaking page on my website that has pictures, text, recipes, suppliers.

And we will be here to help you through the process too!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow I love your website, It does not look near as hard as I thought it would, Id like to make some with shea butter and emu oil so I will have to go to one of those calculators. But a question, where can you get the lye?

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts