have land lack knowledge

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by magdabauer, Mar 24, 2005.

1. magdabauer

magdabauer Active Member

my partner and i (former hippies) have a large piece of land near everett, wa. we have water, some buildings, generator power, a tractor, truck and other implements. we are looking for people interested in organic farming, free-range livestock raising, mushroom growing, dog boarding, or any other means of making a little honest money from the land. we do not have a lot of knowledge about raising animals but are willing to learn. is anybody interested in talking to us about this?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

You've come to the right place! To learn a lot about all the topics you mentioned, just start reading these forums. There is a wealth of information here and plenty of knowledgeable people to answer any questions you have!

3. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Welcome aboard!! I was in your shoes last year at this time...just moved to our little 8.5 acre farm. Believe me when I tell you, I was clueless!

Now, my farmers' market soap sales and chickens are paying for themselves, the turkeys and the rabbits, which are, in turn, feeding DH and I. My market garden is now being sprouted in the basement under lights. And as I'm typing away here, my first batch of chicks is just begining to hatch in the incubator in the breakfast nook...one out so far! :D

I've done a fair share of research and book reading, but for the most part, I've gleaned the practical, "hands on" knowledge that I've needed right here. I've asked some pretty obscure questions, yet someone always seems to be able to pitch in!

We've got a very diverse group here. Yeah, it can cause ruffled feathers (proceed with caution in General Chat!), but it also means that you are going to get a lot of different points of view on pretty much any subject. In other words, you'll find that there is generally no right way, just what works for you in your situation. But then, who's really looking for textbook answers, anyway? ;)

Peace!

4. magdabauer

magdabauer Active Member

hi and thanks. i've read A LOT and i keep going to seminars. what i really need is advice on how to find people who may want to share in this adventure!

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

hippies... washington.... lots of land.. farming...

you guys could be growing some prime....
    umm..
    brussel sprouts.
    I hear washington state grows some killer sprouts....

lol

6. luckypabst

luckypabst Active Member

I'd be very interested were it not for the financial hit I'd take by jumping in feet first with nothing tangible in return.

Sure wish I could win the lottery
    Chris

7. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

I'm out near Arlington. PM me if you'd like to take a peek at the cattle, poultry and garden.