Have I just multipied my enemies?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by snoozy, Feb 8, 2005.

1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Today I had a great time with one of those garden flamers frying the blackberry vines which are taking over the planet (starting with my clearing). Now I know how a superhero feels...ah, the POWER!

But I'm wondering, did I just do the equivalent of a pruning only ("Thanks," said the vines, "we needed a haircut!") and is it really only going to strengthen the roots? Have I simply broken up the long vines into many enemies to sprout again another day, like a Hydra?

2. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Yes you did.

Now when those healthy roots get a little warmth, they will send up fat healthy shoots and will grow eighteen inches a day.

Letting goats graze on them all year round starves the roots. I figure the blackberry roots should be dead in about three years.

3. Senior

Senior Active Member

YEP You sure did, only other way besides goats is to get that root out of the gorund, or get even with the little buggers by eating all those great big berries come summer....... :D

4. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, but on berries, you only get berries on two year old shoots. Sigh. So by frying them to the ground, you just eliminate that year's crop.

Me, I'd LOVE to have berries in my yard. But they don't grow well in the desert for some reason ...

Leva

5. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Bummer! Somebody please just stab me now instead of prolonging the misery! Grrrrrh. :waa:

(It was fun anyway!) :cool:

6. Herb.

Herb. Well-Known Member

Snoozy,

I had the same problem with them in southern Georgia when trying to clear two + acres of land, there were hundreds of them, my approach was a little different however. I decided to cultivate them into a pick your own blackberry patch. Cleared the area around them, took out some, built fences for them to grow on, kept the area around them mowed (snakes are many down there). This approach worked very well, the next year they were all dead. I have had similar success with other things. (Where there's a will there's a way)

Herb.

7. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Spritz those shoots with Lilly Miller Blackberry killer. That will end it!

Or just keep them mowed - they eventually give up. :haha:

My chickens are doing a pretty good job of nipping off the shoots too.....