Have herbs-now what?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ksbrooke, Aug 15, 2004.

1. ksbrooke

ksbrooke Well-Known Member

Greetings all!
    I am new to gardening, at least 'serious' gardening, but this year I went all out with the herbs. I have quite a few purple basil, lemon basil, and 1 cinnamon basil, rosemary, chives, a giant catnip plant, a giant lemon balm plant, lots of mint (spearmint and peppermint), oregano & taragon and feverfew. Question is-now what do I do with it all? I had envisioned selling these lovely herbs and at one point approached a natural foods store, but when they asked me to send a price list, I wasn't able to provide one! I couldn't even find one, and it wasn't for lack of trying! I called our local county extension office, I called several herbal and organic organizations, spoke with numerous people and came away with nothing but a higher phone bill. I had one lady tell me that no one would share that information with me as they wouldn't be wanting the sompetition. Hmm, I thought there was plenty of room for everyone.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Brooke

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Next year we are going to pot up some herb plants and sell them at the open air market along with our vegies. Haven't set a price either but will start about $2.00 per plant and come down if necessary.

3. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I think I owe a fig post--working on it....

I agree with Hank-Narita about thinking next year. Small herb plants sell well if you have a market. Are you on a busy road or near a market where you could retail? Could you talk again with the health food place? $2 a plant is reasonable at retail but potting, etc. is important--Dixie cups don't sell so find some used pots if necessary. If you sell to a middle man, they'll want a profit margin--negotiate but expect up to 50% markdown depending on your terms. (Supply as needed or sell at the start, etc.)

Basil can be overwintered by taking cuttings and rooting in water; tarragon is iffy so might need to come inside for the winter. All your other herbs should overwinter just fine. To increase most of them, you can take cuttings to root or bury the tops with compost or mulch about 3 to 5" deep then pot the newbies next Spring. (Feverfew, for me, comes up from seeds.)

Price list? Try this for an idea of what dried herbs reasonably sell for at retail: http://www.herbalcom.com/store.php3?list=cats&session=cea7666382505cf6857ec3ced78f7101

katy

4. ksbrooke

Thnaks for the advice. I would not consider my relationship with the health food store damaged, I just explained that I, in my enthusiasm, put the cart waaaaaayyyy in front of the horse. They were very understanding. The kind of prices I need though are oz. prices, and how much to put in a package, etc. I don't have enough for pounds-YET!
    Again, thanks for the help!
    Brooke

5. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I read your post yesterday and thought about it again today as I was tending my herb garden. I too had grand plans for all the exotic herbs I propogated, but also met with the same feedback from others. Now I go to the local plant exchange in the fall and spring and trade my herbs for other landscape and house plants. People are always happy to have whatever I've been growing that season, and I get fun stuff in return. Just a thought. Good luck!

6. ksbrooke

A plant exchange! What a great idea...I've never heard of one out here, but I would think about starting one...might even actually DO it...where is yours held-a local nursery, maybe? Hmmm...
    Brooke

7. Laura626

Laura626 Well-Known Member

Hi ksbrooke!
    The plant exchange in my neighborhood is held twice a year, fall and spring, in a meeting room of the local library. They advertise in the local papers about a month in advance, and at the actual exchange they have a sign in list for addresses and emails to keep the regulars informed. People bring in houseplants, seeds, vegetable plants, herbs, flowers, shrubs/trees that they either have grown or have extras of in their yards/homes. The different kinds of plants are sorted by table and each table is marked. They usually give us about 15 min. to walk around and look at what's available, then they ring a bell and it's on the honor system to take as many plants as you have brought. There's usually a lot left over, so after 10 minutes they open it up for anyone to take anything. The regulars get good at knowing who brings what and little plant possees form around certain items. I've gotten hostas, lambs ears, zebra grass, comfrey, peppers, ivies, etc. It's great-I look forward to it so very much. Hope this helps-good luck!!