Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quartz infared portable heaters? Do any of you have any experience with these types of heaters? We received a brochure in the mail about them. Their supposed to save up to 50% on heating bills, don't get so hot to touch so as to burn a child or pet, won't start a fire, won't dry out the air and will keep the environment free of fumes and carbon monoxide.

They sound too good to be true so they probably are but I just wondered if any one of you may have used them before. I would love to save 50% on our heating bill if these heaters do what they are purported to do.

Southrngardngal-Jan

·
Banned
2,828 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
My parents have one and love it. It really puts out the heat. You can use it like a coffee table, the unit doesn't get hot to the touch. It is very safe to have around pets/kids. They haven't noticed a increase in their electric bill (this is their 2nd winter with one.) The only downside (that they have found) is your tv remote can turn the heat up and down...so they put a piece of black tape over the remote "eye" on the Edenpure to solve that problem. We are saving up for one.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Those units are all the rage around here this year. 6 out of 8 people in my office have bought at least one unit this fall. They are selling for around $397 for one and $347 for the second one -free shipping. My boss bought 5 of them!! So far the average electric bill has only gone up $12 and that's without using a furnace at all. BUT... we aren't in the throws of winter yet. It's gonna get much colder than it is now. I wonder how efficient the units will be then.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just wanted to add that I have 2 of the 1500 watt heaters and they seem work well.One I found at a auction and got for a fraction of a new one and the other 1 I had to pay full price for ,I also know of a couple other people who have them and like them, as far as problems ,I had 1 bulb go out, called and they sent me 1 no charge, Cost to operate, I don,t use mine as my main heat or even try to ,I just turn in on for 1 or 2 hours where I have a downstairs office about 800 sq ft to take the chill off . I would say it increases my electric bill in dec/jan/feb by about 15.00 dollars/per mo , I dont know that it really decreases my gas bill since I mainly use it downstairs and I usually just have my heat on 68 upstairs all the time . I feel its ok for a small room but it wouldnt work as your only heat or wont replace it ,Looking back at my gas bills it doesnt look like it decreased my gas bill just added 15.00 dollars to my electric is all,

·
Registered
319 Posts
We just bought one Friday. We borrowed my brother's to see how we like it before we bought one. My brother's is in our basement (about 1000 sq ft) and has heated it to 72 degrees in about 4 days. One of the guys at work has one and he runs it all the time. He said his electric bill only went up $10. So far we like ours enough to probably get another one. We'll see what the power bill is.

·
Island of Blueb
1,007 Posts
We have two. Last winter we spent a horrible amount of money on heating oil. This year we are heating with electricity, way cheaper, and they are heating our 4200 sq ft home adequately. Our light bill has gone up some, of course, but nothing like what we were paying last year for oil. We are very satisfied with them.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
These heaters have been discussed a number of times. You can find a variety of comments if you do a search on EdenPure and Eden Pure. Here's one:
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=202101

They seem over-priced to me. The slick sales brochures remind me of the commercials where the guy sells "Mighty Putty" at prices far above what you'd pay for epoxy putty at the hardware store.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My father bought one, but hasn't received an electric bill yet. I was surprised that it doesn't have a thermostat (temp) setting, but just a higher or lower. He has it running 24/7 and mostly had the oil heat off. I sure hope it doesn't actually run 24/7 or with 1.23 kw per hour he could pay $80-90 extra in electric at 10 cents a kw. Most people claim their bills go up $20, so time will tell. The heat does feel nice though.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We heat with electricity now. I think I will stick with what I have at the moment after reading some of the comments about the electric bill going higher. Maybe one day Hubby will agree to a woodheater/stove and that will help with our heating bills.

Thanks for the comments.

Jan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts