Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody has posted in a couple months..

Even with the pandemic shutdown, around here most retirees have fared well and kept local essential small businesses going.

My "new " normal hasn't been that different than my "old" normal. It is still going by one day at a time.

So how is it going for you?

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
We're about the same, really haven't changed our routine much,except for wearing masks when we go to the store. My husband has COPD and Ahsma, but he wears his mask. Bout the only other difference is that we don't have friends over to cook out, and I miss that..

Looks like at most retail stores are running close to 100% wearing mask.
It's a PIA for me, my medical chart shows SOB and COPD!
ur routine

Reactions: po boy

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Still retired, still here, but not much new going on. Masks, staying home alot more.

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With my asthma and bronchitis when I go where face coverings are required. I wear a bandana so i can breath cool air from the bottom and if I find it hard to breath I can turn away and take a couple huffs on my inhaler under it. Once outside in the safe zone, the bandana goes back around my neck to avoid the fines some of the cities and towns I go to have put in effect even though the state ordinance says LEOs are supposed to educate and give a disposable mask first.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
I've cut back on going places that have a lot of people around. A lot of my friends are still hibernating so there's not as much interaction there. But my phone conversations have increased.

Some days I feel like I bore myself. I seldom watch TV, (I read) only have a small raised bed garden on an acre so outside is not a lot of work - and how much housework can one person do?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nothing much has changed for me either. I still only go to town once every other week for groceries etc.

I use the Walmart online ordering and pickup so I don’t have to go into the store. About once a month I need to stop at the hardware store - in and out in 5 minutes or less.

Regular quarterly doctor appointments have been done over the phone which is great since it’s a 2 hour round trip normally.

All of this just reinforces my hermit type lifestyle.

I HATE wearing a mask. Also I find it just creeps me out to see everyone else wearing masks when I go to town.

I’ve been spending more time on a couple forums I frequent but I find the politics has been creeping into them. I don’t care about that and don‘t want to see it on forums like this.

·
newfieannie
9,164 Posts
masks are mandatory here since friday with a few exceptions like asthma etc. i've been wearing mine all along the few times i go out. i spent 40 dollars in gas since march and still have half of that left. i'm a homebody anyway. spend my time gardening, reading etc. i like my own company . always have and as long as i have books i'll be fine. ~Georgia

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,460 Posts
I officially retired from teaching last September, but I manage real estate and investments for my family and for a trust.
When the virus blather started, I planted a garden, which is now about 1000 sq ft. I don't have a whole lot of time for anything other than those jobs.

I miss going to see a film in a theater!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Has been a very busy summer. Do not go to town very often, mostly to the hardware store, and grocery store. Have put up two cuttings of hay. Garden for most part has done well. Have sold more beets this year than ever. Planted some golden ones, ordered by mistake, and they have sold like wildfire. Sure will be adding those to the seed list for next year. Glad to see the month of August show up, means fall is a little closer and maybe things slowing down.
Up till last couple weeks weather has been decent, then it turn hot.
I made a couple of short trips in the motor home. Managed to stay away from the crowds, by going to certain areas. Pup is almost year old and is showing signs of growing up, well most of the time anyway. He likes to travel so that is good. All in all, has not been too much of a change for me, never been much a goer and duer anyway. Like most other, not fond of the mask, but well comply when I need to. Tired of the riots and political crap!
Take care everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,546 Posts
Pretty much the same here. Go to the store every week or 10 days. Tend garden. Watch tv. Talk to the dog. Some long phone conversations. Had a drive by birthday party on my birthday. Folks came up my drive and talked a bit through the window and took off again. Some few got out and sat on the front patio a while with some distancing involved. Wear the mask/bandanna when I go to town and in stores. Comes off when I get back in vehicle. I prefer the bandanna to the mask with the ear loops. I miss going out now and then to meet friends for dinner in town. Haven't been to church since early March and miss that.

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In The Woods,

If you think seeing everyone with a mask on is freaky , think how I felt the other day while at the gun shop restocking on my home range ammunition.

All the gun shop personnel were masked and with their sidearms waist holstered as usual and the two city cops were buying their ammo for their range re-certification and all of us regulars in there with masks or bandanas on to comply with the state order.

As the clerk was taking care of my order, I said to the clerk and one of the cops I knew standing beside me that it sure felt weird since half in the shop were open carrying and most of the rest of us were concealed carrying and most all being regular customers, knew each other and the cop said for now it was the law of the state.

The clerk gave us both a laugh when he told me since the face covering ordinance he noticed most all of us were stopping outside the door and waving to the folks working there we recognized before masking up and entering and saying hello by name.anyway. They both chuckled as I said with masks on both sides of the counter, even though we all knew one another, it felt like going to an outlaw's convention LOL.

·
Super Moderator
16,465 Posts
My husband retired a few weeks ago

He came home, looked around and decided to update the entire house. Needless to say, we have been BUSY! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
13,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Terri,

I can relate to the update the whole place concept.

For the past two months i have been cutting the outlaying 20 foot tall scrub brush trees and possum grape vine roots that have exploded up my good trees and pulling the dead vines out of the tall shade trees with my good arm while leveraging between my cuff crutch and vine to keep from falling as the vine snaked down and I leaned on the crutch to grab a few feet up the vine so I can mow the grass under them.

The other day while pulling a vine down , i lost my crutch and as my neighbor saw me and the vine falling backwards to the ground, instead of rushing and having to help stand me up, he got to me laughing at how i was hanging by my armpits in a low fork of the tree after he watched me hand over hand climb that grape vine like Tarzan faster than it wormed it's way down the tree after I sweat lost my crutch to get to the low fork to keep standing.

As I was two crutch armpit hanging in the fork with my feet barely toe touching the ground, he said he knew he could lift my 190 pounds up and out but if his wife or my GF saw, they might say we were dancing in the trees so bending the fork down a few inches would be better and I agreed as I told him that tree fork I had speed climbed toup the vine was alreadypulling my overalls up giving me a denim wedgie.

After he got me down and back on my 3 legs, we walked over to his picnic table where the ladies were sitting and laughing at how I hand climbed up from the 40 degree or so angle as his wife got me a glass of iced tea.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In The Woods,

If you think seeing everyone with a mask on is freaky , think how I felt the other day while at the gun shop restocking on my home range ammunition.

All the gun shop personnel were masked and with their sidearms waist holstered as usual and the two city cops were buying their ammo for their range re-certification and all of us regulars in there with masks or bandanas on to comply with the state order.

As the clerk was taking care of my order, I said to the clerk and one of the cops I knew standing beside me that it sure felt weird since half in the shop were open carrying and most of the rest of us were concealed carrying and most all being regular customers, knew each other and the cop said for now it was the law of the state.

The clerk gave us both a laugh when he told me since the face covering ordinance he noticed most all of us were stopping outside the door and waving to the folks working there we recognized before masking up and entering and saying hello by name.anyway. They both chuckled as I said with masks on both sides of the counter, even though we all knew one another, it felt like going to an outlaw's convention LOL.
Great story!

I haven’t been to my gun shop lately.

However I did buy a handgun during the beginning of the virus thing.

For the first month or so they were closed up tight. Then they opened up to curbside sales for local residents only. You bought the firearm online with the option to pick up at the store. They had instructions to pull up to the side of the building for your appointment time they gave you over the phone.

You were then to call them to tell them you had arrived. The clerk came out - with mask of course - and started the transaction on a tablet. Did the preliminary stuff then said he would go inside to do the instant background check - had to be done on the PC.

Back out in a couple minutes - signed a couple times on the tablet - then he went inside to get your firearm.

All in all they were very organized and it was relatively pain free. Just really weird to buy a firearm that way. I thanked him for providing the service - I’m sure it was a huge pain for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts