Have a question...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tltater, May 5, 2005.

1. tltater

tltater Well-Known Member

I am new to the bunny owning. We got three bunnies about 10 months ago. I was sure they were all females....well of course I had to be wrong about one! These were just pets for my kids. Anyway, we found out when we found a dead litter in the large cage they were all three sharing. Unfortunatley, at that time we did not have any other cages to transfer everyone out of so I am sure he mated with the one that had babies to begin with before we could get them seperated. So, got the one female out she had six live babies 2 weeks ago tomorrow and we found the other female making a nest and fur pulled out in the large cage. Thought I should have had at least another week or two before she should have been ready to kindle so this took me by surprise. Put her in her own cage with a nest and put all the hay and fur she pulled out in the nest box. This was about a week ago and still no kits and she has knocked all the fur and hay out of the nest box. Could she still be pregnant? Do they have false pregnancies? I palpated her stomach today and I am sure I felt one lump but didn't feel anything else. With the other doe, I felt little marbles when I palpated her to see if she could be pregnant. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

2. tltater

Just bumping this up in hopes of someone having and answer.

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

In a case like this, it's just really hard to say, especially since you palpated her. Yes, rabbits do have false pregnancies wherein they will often go through the nesting behavior about two weeks before the due date. I would suggest you try palpating her, again, anyway.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

4. tltater

My daughter went out this morning to check on her. She had had one kit and it was half in half out of the nesting box. It had it's one leg taken off so I figure she had problems giving birth. But the only one kit thing has me worried. Does this happen occasionally? I am not sure of her age but will ask the lady I bought her from to see. She has had litters before of 6 to 8 so strange this would be only one. Do I need to take her to the vet and x-rayed to see if there are kits in there that need to be removed?

Thanks for the help.
    Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

5. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

That is odd, if she has had 6 or 8 before. Makes me wonder if she did have 6 or 8, or if that is why the lady was selling her. Dont' worry about the x-ray, unless you feel she is a very, very expensive rabbit. She should get them out if she has more, sometimes breeding the doe back, or even force breeding her, helps.

6. tltater

Thanks Rosarybeads. We weren't planning on breeding rabbits so it didn't really matter to me. She was bought as a pet. We didn't realize one of our babies we bought someplace else ended up being a buck. They all looked the same to me...LOL! But if breeding her back is best for her I will do so. I just didn't want to tramatize her. Not knowing much about breeding rabbits, didn't know if this was a good thing or not. Thanks again!

Tracy
    Southwestern, NY

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

8. woolyfluff

woolyfluff Well-Known Member

we raise angoras If this rabbit was a frist timer and maybe conditions around the cage wasnt perfect WHY NOT GIVE HER A SECOND CHANCE frist timer some time make mistakes iy wont hurt to let her try again rabbit have been know liquidify thier baby within them self Icanot spell some of the big word I need

9. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Tracy ,, If you are not wanting to raise rabbits you do not need to rebreed her ,,

if you don't want to eat fryers or have a pet market available ,, just keep the 3 of them appart and love them as pets ,,