Have a crazy Idea...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marcath, Feb 9, 2005.

1. marcath

marcath Active Member

I have a crazy idea.....

You know all that junk mail you get, ads, return postage paid envelopes, ect.

I have started a small mail-order business and advertising is the most expnsive part.

Well, I just had an idea that if I took all the postage paid envelopes, put my own advertisments in them and sent them back to the company,whoever opens the mail may or may not be interested in my products.

I know that the sale % is probably real small, but it is still FREE advertisment. And who knows, with all the junk we get in the mail throughout the year, maybe in a years time I could make some sales.

Just talked to the Post Office and ask them if this is Illegal and they said no, but the company's probably would file it in the can, just like we do. But they had no legal course of me "using their postage".

Any comments or suggestions?

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

toss in a scoop of baking soda and toss it in the mail back to them...

the very sight of powder in an envelope will freak them to no end. :haha:

3. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I think you would be wasting your time. Most places that send such mail have an automatic processing system with minimal human interaction. It is unlikely a real person would see your "advertisement". However, these systems are designed to tally "reply, no reply" which means they know how many people ripe up stuff and send it back to them without taking them up on their offer. You would probably end up as part of that tally.

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Sounds like you've got nothing to lose except for the price of printing your advertisement. Go for it and let us know what happens.

5. jgbndaudio

jgbndaudio Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've been sending back any junk mail that comes with a postage paid envelope for years. I open it up - place a sticker on it that says "Congratulations, you're pre approved to remove this name and address from your mailing lists" Then I put everything including the envelope it came in back in and send it off. I figure that way they have to recycle it.

I get a lot less junk mail than I used to. Guess they got the idea that paying the postage twice for me wasn't making good business sense.

I also like the idea of generating a little extra income for our post office, even if it's a bloated pig of a system that wouldn't surrive real competition.
    Scotty

6. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't put any white powder in unless you like prison food.