Hauling/storing water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Abouttime, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Does anybody choose/need to haul and store water for household use? If so, do you have any helpful suggestions for maximum efficiency? I am considering purchasing property where the current 5 households on the street haul water from 3 miles away, store in a cistern and then use a pressure pump to get into the house. Thanks in advance.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Put gutters on the house and feed thru a filter into the cistern. You will still need to haul water but you won't be wasting what falls free from the sky.

3. Abouttime

Good suggestion-thanks

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I consider myself pretty well educated on these two topics; hauling and storing water. So I am gonna stick my .02 cents in and you can take or leave all of it...

We just this past week stopped hauling water which we had been doing for the past 6 years. Up untill this past summer we would load two 55 gal. drums in the back of the truck every other day, drive a couple of miles to the nearest neighbor with a good well, fill them and bring them back home where we pumped the water from the drums into our storage tanks (2- 300 gal plastic water storage tanks.) It worked out just fine but sure got old after a while. We got one of those 200 gal pick up water tanks last summer and that made the job much easier and we wasted much less water on the horrid road we had to travel. During the winter (we get much snow) we would place one 55 gal drum laying down in a sled, the drum had a round hole in one place on the side which we would fill into and pump out of, we would pull this drum with a small snowmobile (our roads often are closed from Jan 1 to May 15). Doing it this way we had to make 1 trip a day if we did not do laundry at home. Now that we have been blessed with being able to get water from our very own hole in the ground we still must haul to the house but only 400 feet! we are also now doing laundry at home for the first time (nothing like hauling laundry 7 miles in a sled down to your car etc). So while hauling and storing water is easily done if you have someone willing to give you water ---not having to is heaven after 6 years!

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

the first year and half we worked on the old house we hauled water my advice is get a well

6. Abouttime

Sisterpine-thanks for the input and congratulations on your updated water hauling-400 ft is certainly better than 3 miles!

7. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I don't know how much rainfall you get but if you build your cistern big enough you won't be hauling water. My cistern is 8000 gallons. An inch of rain gets me about 1000 gallons of water. In 15 years I've hauled water once!! I'm careful around the house (don't water the lawn or wash the truck) but I use this water for all the livestock. As many as 13 horses!

Kathie

8. Cyngbaeld

Kathy, what kind of cistern do you have? Mine is a 1500 gal poly tank, I need another one.

9. Arborethic

Arborethic Well-Known Member

You've gotten some good advice concerning cisterns.
    I grew up with a galvanized above ground cistern, and a much larger 'brick' below ground cistern.

I would strongly suggest that you research parasites that can infest such water storage sites and use appropriate control measures for them.

10. Abouttime

Thanks, Kathie-your post is incouraging-I see there are lots of options on-line for construction and sizes of cisterns.
    Arborethic-thanks for the warning-I will see what I can find out-If parasites are an issue, I'd think a smaller tank and refilling more often would be a preference.

11. Cyngbaeld

A good inline filter system will remove any parasites. I also have a prefilter on my cistern to clean the rain water before it enters. I used 1/2 inch hardware cloth to form a bowl and lines it with cloth netting and put fiber fill over that. It catches the big trash. I don't have an inline filter yet, haven't had time to do it, but have been hauling drinking water from a nearby well. Only need to go once every couple of weeks. Boiling the water prior to drinking will also kill parasites.

12. Abouttime

Thanks for the tips on the filtering-sounds like a plan-amazingly, something so elementary as boiling the water, I may not have thought of-glad you mentioned it.

13. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

My cistern is just poured concrete. Cost me $1600 about 15 years ago. Money well spent. The top is level with the ground so it also serves as my back patio! An Amish friend just built a 28,000 gallon cistern! Bigger is better, it will get you through the low rain periods.

I treat the cistern with a little bleach every time it rains. Run it through a 20 micron, a 5 micron, and then a carbon filter. Then it goes through a UV light and I have bacterially safe drinking water (I take it to work and test once in awile to be sure!).

Kathie

14. Abouttime

Keep the information coming-I am savoring all, hoping my purchase is completed and I have an opportunity to utilize all this good information-(PS, Kathie-your web site is wonderful)