Hauling rotted hay no truck or trailer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jenn, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I know, I need a pickup truck but we aren't mechanics and I only have 3 acres so it'd be nice if I figured out a different way. I do have a conversion van with carpetting unfortunately, and trailer hitch but no trailer. Any suggestions for cleanly (van etc not me) hauling it two miles to my yard?

The kind neighboring farmer said I can take all the rotted coastal and peanut hay he has laying around but he hasn't the time or staff to haul it for me. My first goal is a 3x8 raised bed filled with cardboard boxes from our unpacking and this hay, and I'm seeking a chicken house for their scrapings (and from them I'll take delivery I sure hope!)

I need a trailer, right? Long time ago I hauled compost in the back of my hatchback on top of a large denim tarp I sewed for the purpose.... worked fine if I didn't let it set long at all and soak through

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

If it's enough of a payload to make it worth it, rent or borrow a trailer for a day or so.

If your van is large enough, buy a small plastic tarp to put around the hay. That's cheaper than a trailer rental. Be sure to get a tarp large enough to go under the hay without it spilling onto the carpet.

Yes, you need a trailer! They sure are handy.

3. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Are light utility trailers that rare where you are. Usually one made out of rear half of an old pickup go $50 to $150. If designed properly they tend to tow fine. Unless you just dont have two quarters to scrape together, one of those would save you whole lot labor. Especially where you already have a decent tow vehicle it sounds like. I mean these wouldnt work well with some teeny tiny 4cyl car, you would need an ultralight mini trailer with small tow vehicle, but should do ok with full size van or even a mini van.

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

does the farmer have a trailer to loan you?

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Farmer said no on trailer- he has yard full of stuff but nothing small enough for my needs, and he is willing to let me glean but doesn't want responsibility/work of loading for me or worrying about me using his equipment. Thanks HJ I'll get looking- today's paper is a good start.

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Trailers can be bought cheaply but dont forget youll need to get tags and registration too. Last one I did added over $100 to the cost, and then theres the yearly fee for license renewal. A trailer is a wonderful thing to have though. Make sure if you buy ine its safe. Id be afraid of someones homemade "pickup truck bed" trailer. A good flat bed dump trailer is a lot more useful and not much more expensive.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

If you really want to move truckloads of the stuff just a couple of miles then rent a truck or trailer. Fifty bucks on a U-Haul would probably let you move more hay than you'd use in a year.

.....Alan.

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I'd go with renting a U-Haul. The small truck around here goes for 19.95 per day. And they don't use much gas. The first time I moved my goats, I did it in a U-Haul. I told the guy I had a quick move (didn't tell him what I was moving) and he only charged me $10.00 flat and no mileage. He even gave me the money to fill up the truck with. It saved him a trip to the gas station. I have the truck back inside of an hour. Only had to move the goats about 4 miles.