Hauling Pigs in Utility Trailer

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by High Stepper Farm, Nov 9, 2017.

1. High Stepper Farm

High Stepper Farm Member

I have a plan to make and bolt on side panels for my utility trailer to transport pigs to the butcher in a few weeks. I was thinking 32in high from the floor would suffice. Does this sound about right?

2. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

As long as they can stand up in it they will be fine . Some companies make a slide in for utility trailers so you can have a multi purpose trailer

3. High Stepper Farm

High Stepper Farm Member

I'm not building a top. Just temporary wood panels on the sides. The slide in would be nice, but I can't find one locally and the fabrication shops around here only deal with big business.

4. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

I would go higher without a top, When I ran side bodies on my truck years ago hauling calves ,goats, hogs the bodies were 36" above the side of the truck.

sky61 likes this.
  5. High Stepper Farm

High Stepper Farm Member

After reading some other posts on here about how high pigs can jump, I think I will just make a fully enclosed crate that I can take on and off the trailer with the loader. Maybe u-bolt it through the floor or just strap it down. I can also keep it in one of the paddocks to double as a shelter.

sky61, secuono, Wanda and 1 other person like this.
  6. jkleven

jkleven Well-Known Member

You absolutely need a top at that height. I've seen even small ones jump out of my 36" high catch box easily. I had a guy show up to pick up a 150 pound boar with a trailer like you describe and I told him it could jump out. He assured me that he'd been hauling pigs for years this way and it would be fine. When we finally got it to walk up the ramp and into the trailer it wasn't in there 15 seconds before it went up and over the side and landed on it's head in the pasture. He was embarrassed as we looked for plywood to screw down over the top and it was nearly impossible to get that boar back into the trailer after that.

sky61, secuono and gerold like this.
  7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I used cattle panels to enclose a trailer to haul sheep.
    You could make your own "slide in" using panels and hog rings or "J clips" and it will outlast anything made of wood.

flewism, secuono and GTX63 like this.
  8. High Stepper Farm

High Stepper Farm Member

Do you have any pics of your setup? I have some extra panels I could use.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Sorry, I don't have any pictures that I can find right now.

I had square metal tube uprights welded to the trailer, then welded cattle panels onto them.
    For what you need a simple box fabricated from panels would work just fine.

10. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

That’s exactly what I did. Another plus is the pigs getting used to the crate in or near their pen before the big day.

cooper101 and High Stepper Farm like this.
  11. nate77

nate77 Well-Known Member

I used to haul pigs this way, but my rails were 48” high, and I’ve never had any crazy jumping pigs.

12. secuono

secuono Well-Known Member

I made this for sheep.
    I had it the full height if the cattle panel at first, but cut it down to fit neatly to the truck's roof. Didn't want wind blowing in at it or risking low branches snagging it.
    I used 1 panel for the 3 sides, 90° bends, 1 cut panel with the end wire twisted around to secure it. Heavy wire to secure top cut panel. No floor.
    It's very light for me to toss on and off as needed. Ratchet straps over and looped to keep it securely in place.
    You could buy one of those curly wires from premiere1supplies to use as a lock for the door.
    18363-c4b90d0ab3341af71ad1e30d83aeb08d (1).jpg 20160527_172650 (1).jpg

sky61 and High Stepper Farm like this.
  13. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

This is what we use. It made from pipe and sheet metal. Fits on a standard 16' trailer.

Attached Files:

14. High Stepper Farm

High Stepper Farm Member

That would be nice to have.

15. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

I can load it easily enough with the tractor.... and it's been done with a high boy jack and a come along.... but it's too heavy for what it is.
    I'd like to build one from old Aluminum Conduit. Thinking 1" (1-3/8" OD)
    I have access to demoed out Conduit at times... I can weld but ....AL is a pain....It has to be very clean...ECT.. I may try one of these days we'll see.

16. i8paintchips

i8paintchips Member

Just go to YouTube and search for "pig jumping from truck" and you'll soon realize a top is necessary.

17. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I have used the crate made from hog panels to move pigs and goats. It is very easy to load in any pickup truck and of course you need a top---made of the same stuff. Stand it on end and tip it, slide it into the truck. When done slide it right back out. Be sure to attach the back panel in such a way that you can have a "GATE"

i put mine together with hose clamps, but they can be made with any degree of sophistication desired. I had a chicken tractor made of the same stuff, but it was all welded, rigid and varmint-proof.

18. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

I made a pig crate to haul 6 or 8 feeder pigs. I also used it to haul a butcher hog. I made it out of 3/4 plywood, with a hinged lid. I couldn't figure how to fasten the plywood together in a way strong enough to resist pig strength. So, when it was done, I wrapped it with two ratchet straps going one way and two going the other. I put two handles on each end so two guys could load it into a truck. I generally bought feeders in April or May, often too cold for open air hauling. The plywood box provided ventilation, yet protection from the cold breezes.

19. cpnkrunch

cpnkrunch Well-Known Member

MY stock trailer looks a lot like BobP's. Square tubing uprights with cattle panels for sheeting, 6 foot tall, bolts on in sections to trailer. Can be removed for flatbed trailer use. It was built by the Maysville, Missouri FFA shop some years back. Hauls anyting pretty well. I also have a slide in stock rack for my pickup that I have used to haul hogs. I built a 52 inch tall rack for my shortbed pickup to haul pigs with, they didn't jump out, but that's when I got the slide in unit. You can pick them up on CL for abt 75, cheaper at auctions and probably cheaper than you can DIY. But they will load easier in a low trailer. Just sayin'

20. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

I've had them jump 4' panels but I don't believe they're going to jump out of my stock box. It's 7'+...I don't recall exactly but I'm 6'4" and it's well over my head.

Back when I still hog hunted I had an issue...I have a 2 horse trailer and once had some little 15-20# wild caught striped pigs in it... Two jumped out in a gas station parking lot and disappeared..

I have a slide in stock rack...Works OK, but it fits a long bed Chevy, without a tool box... It's a pain to remove the tool box...