Hauling Goats in a Minivan?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by holsteintater, Jul 10, 2005.

1. holsteintater

holsteintater Well-Known Member

We have a small compact car that DH drives to work and my minivan. I really don't want to buy another vehicle but DH thinks putting two goats in my van is a bad, bad, bad idea. Has anyone else done this? :) Please tell me it'll be okay! :eek:

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I rescently hauled 2 about 50 miles in the truck cab with no problems, did put down a sheet of plastic to catch accidents, they only had one accident which lasted about 70 minutes.... ;)

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i routinely haul goats, chickens, hay, etc. in the back seat of my subaru. perhaps your husband would be willing to use his car?

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Just put down a tarp to catch the worst of any messes. My old Volvo station wagon has hauled goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, dogs, cats, and a neighbor's calf. The second looks I get from other drivers at stoplights are just priceless.

5. babygoats!

babygoats! Well-Known Member

I've hauled as many as 6 goats in the back (seat folded down) of a Blazer. It was never any problem. They didn't even mess up the carpet that badly; just a little carpet cleaner on a couple of spots cleaned it right up. Whatever you have should be what ever you use.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I just got back from the goat show, where I had in my mini van, two bales, one milkstand, (standard) and two large milkers, tied to the milk stand, it would be best to put a collar on them and tie them somehow.
    We have been to about 5 shows this year and had as many as 6 goats + the milk stand, and all nessasary tack, we put down a large plastic sheet first that we pull up on the sides, it catches berrie & pee. Maybe Santa will bring me a small trailer. : )

7. SherrieC

Oh, and I did once bring home a new milker in the back seat of a pontiac 600.
    Still have that goat, car I sold : )

8. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

used to do it all the time. those berries brush right out, or a tarp or one of those cheap vinyl tablecloths work great.

9. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

I have used my minivan for several years now. Took out the back seat(bench) and put a piece of 2x4 wire up across the back to prevent any lap riders!! Don't tie them up because if you have to make a sudden stop because of some one that doesn't know how to drive they wont get strangled. Also put plastic down and take out at end of drive but don't try to clean it out until it drys it cleans better. A little carpet fresh and your good to go again. You should see the people take double looks at my van as we are driving down the road ,you'd think they hadn't ever seen a goat before!!

JR05

10. Antoinette

Antoinette Active Member

90 % of the time, the back of my minivan looks like the bed of a farm truck. My husband takes are only truck to work everyday, and if I need hay or need to move a goat, I just throw it in with the 4 kids and go. Needless to say, 3 of my kids are teenagers and they pretty much hate the "farm truck" looking van :rock: But aren't we supposed to embarrass them...lol

11. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If your goats are young, does the law require you to have a booster seat with safety belts for them??

12. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I haul my goats in the back of my blazer. I also use it to get bales of hay & straw. Like everyone said, just put down a sheet of plastic first. My son will sit in the backseat and "control" them. JR05 - I know those "looks" well. I think its fun, I especially love pulling up at the gas pumps with a load of goats in the back...Everyone does a double take.

13. holsteintater

holsteintater Well-Known Member

LOL I think the rule is under 1/less than 100 pounds requires a carseat!! :p :D

14. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

We have an Astro Mini Van. I haul everything in my van. I just pop out the number of seats depending on what and how many I am hauling.
    This is what I have done. I have a piece of plywood that fits on the floor. That way those holes that the seats click into are not exposed for feet to be trapped in. Then I cover it with a tarp. Waaallllaaa that's all it takes.

Lori

15. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Saw a fellow in ariz. a few months ago that had a OX and a Donkey in his mini van, talk about odd.

16. SherrieC

remember the old mini van commercial, where the couple pulled up opened doors, and unloaded minature horses : )

17. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

The tarp is really important- goat pee doesn't come out of upholstery and they will tread poo into the carpet.
    I went to my first goat show in my compact sedan- 2 milkers in the backseat and 2 jr does in the front- so if the minivan is a no-go, you could use the hubby's car!

18. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I'd rather haul a couple of goats in our Suburban than in a p/u truck. It seems that the closeness of the back of the suburban keeps them quieter and less stressed.

I use old pool covers that has the bubbles in it. I don't have a pool or know anything about them but I think it might be the solar cover. Anyway, a friend gave us some that was torn and it works well. Then I put a piece of cardboard down and some hay. Everything gets thrown out and burned after we're finished with it.

Warning: hay is extremely difficult to remove. It sticks to everything!

19. Anna M.

Anna M. Well-Known Member

It's funny you all should mention this. We are hoping to get some goats and just last night my Dad was asking how we planned on hauling them. Maybe if I tell him about the tarp/tablecloth/pool cover he'll let us use the Suburban. Great ideas!

:D

Anna

20. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

I had to take my goat and my 12 lb pot belly pig to the vet today to be fixed. They are my first and I was afraid to try it myself. I didn't want to do it wrong. I had the goat in a crate in back of the truck. The pig usually sits in my DD's lap but she is out of town with relatives. So I tried to get him in a crate on the floor in the backseat which didn't work. so I tied him in the back. I guess it must have scared him riding back there cause I think he almost filled the floor with poo. It cleaned up pretty easy though. I think I will put down plastic and a blanket when I pick him up this after noon!!! LOL!!! Goat did fine. He has ridden in the ctate in the back before!! Of course my Doe is having a hard time without her boy here with her. My son is spending extra time with her today until Billy get's home. She is very unhappy!!!