Hauling Ford 8N with small pickup

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mary in Minn, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Mary in Minn

Mary in Minn Guest

Does anyone know if I can haul my Ford 8N (2,600 lbs.) across the country with my Nissan 4x4 pickup? I have a single axle (rated at 3,500 lbs.) trailer that weighs 800 lbs. The Gross Vehicle Weight rating of my truck is 5,100 lbs. The Gross Combined Weight Rating is 7,700 lbs. Maximum tongue load is 350 lbs.

2. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I'm one to err on the side of caution with trailers. If you are that close to the weight limit of your axle, I'd go real easy on the bumps! I have ended up with more than one bow-legged trailer from overloading them.

I'm not so picky on the towing vehicle. If it'll move, it'll tow, IMHO.

Jena

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I agree you're awfully close on your maximum weight. You could get the calcium (or antifreeze) pumped out of the tractor tires to save weight. You'll probably drop close to 600 pounds!

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I've hauled my 8n with a 1992 ford f150 and a dual axle trailer with electric brakes. This was for maybe 20 miles uphill and down. For any distance I would want something beefier.

The tractor weight according to the 8n manual is 2400+ pounds (I'd have to go get the manual to find the exact weight). This is without any fuel, oil or calcium in the tires.

I think you are really pushing the limits and would not recommend trying it for a couple reasons:

1) You will have some real issues braking;

2) There is real potential for you to burn out your transmission

3) you are risking damage to the trailer and a potential accident as a result.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try it, but I've seen some do similar and get by with it. With a single axle trailer and a light pickup that's really on the edge. Does this truck have a class III chassis hitch with a slide in adapter? If not I wouldn't even go local.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Your truck should be OK provided it's a 6 cylinder and not a 4 cylinder. You might be pushing it with the small engine. And if it were me, I wouldn't haul something that heavy on a single axle trailer. Dual axle, with trailer brakes to be safe. But I'm sure what you are doing has been done.

I've pulled my 8N as well as my Ford 850 which is several hundred pounds heavier with my dual axle trailer, no brakes. But across country, I would want them.

7. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

Towing large loads is not that difficult... my straight 6 cylinder Ford 1/2 ton has lots of torque... the problem comes when trying to brake or slow down those large loads when you've got a fairly light vehicle in front of it. Does the trailer have hydraulic or electric brakes?

Towing... the heavier the tow vehicle the better, dual axle trailer with brakes is better, proper gearing, tranni cooler and a good rad on the tow vehicle, a proper hitch rated high enough for the load, proper safety chains (not those cheap hardware store dog chains).

Across the country is a long way to worry about that trailer... and all the things which could go wrong if you push the limits of safety. Burning a tranni or overheating is one thing... losing the trailer, breaking the axle or not being able to stop safely is quite another.

cheers,

8. Mary in Minnesota

Mary in Minnesota Now in NY

Thanks everyone. I've decided to look into renting a bigger trailer (with brakes) and a bigger truck.