hauling cattle

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by topside1, Oct 22, 2005.

1. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

In the next few weeks I will be needing two steers hauled approximately 30 miles and then off loaded. The problem is that I do not have a cattle trailer and will need to hire someone to move my animals. The bottom line ???? is what is a fair price to pay someone in the hauling business? Second question is how do they charge customers like me, by the mile, by the head combination of both, minimum charge no matter how short the distance??? Please help I'm afraid of being over charged due to I have never hired anyone for this type of service...thanks,,,,John :cow:

2. GAchickenguy

GAchickenguy KS boy stuck in GA

Here in GA the going price right now with the price of gas is $2.00 a loaded mile. I have friends that will haul cheaper as a favor to people they know but thats what I have found in my area.

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have rented a two horse trailer from a feed and grain outfit when I only had one or two head of cattle to haul. The place I rent from charges $50 a day; 24 hours. Their rig uses a regular round ball trailer hitch.

I've used a borrowed small sized pickup truck and my own full size pickup to tow the rented rig.

It's sure easier to rent a trailer and haul for myself then listen to some guy tell me how he's doing me a favor and then have to pay him 4 or 5 hundred dollars for the favor.

It wouldn't hurt to look for a rental place if one is going to be hauling cattle once in a while, but doesn't need to own a stock trailer.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I can send 20 head of feeder calves 24 miles for $120. Otherwise, it is $14 per head (minimum 5) for individual calves making the trip. The driver helps me load the animals.

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

A couple of haulers around here have offered to take cattle to market for me, should I wish to send any, and both of them gave a flat rate of $1.50 a loaded mile. It doesn't matter if I send 1 head or 20. I supose with the fuel increases the prices have gone up, but the point is that the nearest market from here a about 100 miles. And even then, it all depends on whether they have room in the trailers when they are hauling other animals to market.

One guy was telling me that he will come and get an animal, take it home, and fetch in a few more animals from small holders in the community, and when he gets a load he heads to market; everybody pays the same mileage rate.

As some guy who just owns a few head of cattle, the cattle haulers are out of my price range most of the time.

6. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

One aspect of a cattle trailer is it can be used for other purposes. I have used my 16' to store about 100 bales of square baled hay and to help move a couple of folks (after being pressure-washed out of course). I pulled mine to a blacksmithing conference in OH, used the floor area for selling/storage and slept in the neck-over area. Room up there for almost a full-size mattress.

Some time ago someone on the forum mentioned they put in a slotted floor and used it to raise feeder pigs. Just moved the trailer every couple of days to spread out the manure.

Several years ago I use to haul cattle for $40 (one or a load) to area markets. Was considered average then with gas about 1/3 of what it is now. Have no idea of what it is now, but I rather like the loaded mile fee.