Hats and long hair

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

If I work in the sun without a hat, I get headaches.

I have long hair that I usually just pony tail. the pony bump sure interferes with hat usage.

I've tried a ball cap with my hair out the hole, but I tend to take the thing off and on all day and it's a pain. It pulls my hair loose and then I have to put my hair back up.

I tried a straw hat, but the hair still gets in the way or the hat is too tight because of all the hair.

I'm about ready to shave my head...but I'd look kind of funny.

Anyone know of any hair friendly hats?

Jena

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I've had long hair for five years now, and for the five years before I was in the service as well. I keep my hair tied back all the time and have never had a probelm with it interfering with a hat. Of course, I've had male-pattern balness since I was 20. I look a bit like a Klingon when I let my hair down. I just about have to wear a hat in the summertime, because I burn very easily. Also, I tie my hair pretty far down on the back of my head, right at the neckline.

3. stickinthemud

stickinthemud Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Sue C

Sue C Member

Hi Jenna, I have had hair down to my waist all my life and at 50 I too have had my moments. Placing the tied low down so it is at the neck works but it also blocks any air circulation however if you place it on top it will fit into a hat with a high crown, straw or baseball. To do away with the knot all together you might want to consider a hairnet of course you have to find a heavy duty one, a fine net will be of no use at all, I sometimes use a snoade (don't know if that one is spelt right!). I usually do the through the hole thing but if it is breezy out and I whip the hat off sometimes I come close to strangling myself as strands of hair are wrapped around my neck. The trials and tribulations of long hair!

5. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

What is a snoade???

I don't like the pony tail in my neck...guess I'll try going back to the top of my head ala the 80's! That's ok, as long as I don't have to go back to poofy bangs :)

Jena

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

When I had Long Hair I always wore a Wide Brimed Hat,if I put it in a Pony Tail I would get a Headace.But if I put it in loose Braid I was ok.Should lay flatter.

big rockpile

7. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

A theme thong and a golf visor.

8. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Jena: A snood is like a big hairnet but the threads are made of yarn or thick string often crochet. Heres a nice picture:
    http://www.crochetpartners.org/Patterns/CPpat22.html

You might try an old fashioned sun bonnet that ties under the chin. Soft enough to let the pony tail hang down but shades the face.

9. RachL

RachL Member

I have long thick hair and I wear a western (cowboy) type hat when I'm outside. It works with a braid or ponytail and if I'm doing something that I need to keep all my hair away from (using machinery and animals love my hair!) I can pile it up and put it in the hat. I love the Australian hats too!

**Rachaelle**

10. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

My hair in getting close to my knees in length, I most often braid it in two pigtails, on each side, well back from the ears, and fasten the ends together so the braids will then hang from the back of my neck.
    it lets air blow across my neck and keeps the hair under control from blowing or dropping in to 'stuff' ~and we all know what knid of stuff we have around for it to drop into, eewww yuck~ and there is no extra bulk at the hat band.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've had the same problem for years. My hair is a lot thinner and shorter now. But at one time it was below my knees and very thick. Never could find a hat that would fit.

Can you find a wide brim hat that you can cut a hole in the top of? Straw would work, but you will have to bind the hole to keep the straw from sticking in your hair. Denim or felt would be easir to work with. Then pull your hair into a pony tail at the crown. Braid the pony tail and put another band on to hold the braid. You can pull the braid thru the hole. Or you can wrap the braid around itself and pin it. Just make the hole big enough to fit over the bun.

Or, cut the crown off the hat, leaving enough vertical material to sew a new crown to. If you use enough material you can gather or pleat it so the crown is kind of poofy with lots of 'hair room' in it.

12. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Well, a couple things come to mind......

Braiding my hair makes it easier to wear hats.

When I wear my stetson I'll sometimes just put my hair up inside it.

Mostly I just wear my hair tied back. It's great for swishing insects (kind of like a horse and its tail.

Mike

13. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Seems strange all us fellas giving you what we do for long hair, and until June 10th i had not had short hair since april 4 1992..... I had my wife braid it for me, and then it only interfered with my old stetson.... which was bought when i kept my hair short like now again.....

you mioght try wearing one ofthose boonie style hats aka para military, which would give you coverage with a brim and perhaps a fit that would work for you .... and they have a chin strap for those windy days.

William

14. renee7

renee7 Well-Known Member

Jena, Someone else wrote what I was going to suggest. I have found at yard sales, 3 hats that were made will the top out. I wore the first one out, and when I couldn't find any I took a widebrimed straw hat and cut the top out.

Since then I've found a couple more. but my favorite is a white cloth one, that has a brime in the front like a visor only it's pretty wide. and no top in it. I got it at Goodwill.

15. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena, my hair is waist length and very thick. I twist it tight in a long twist, wind it around my hand 6 times and secure it to the top of my head with a "bearclaw" a big clippy thing that lays flat and holds the hair roll in place. I have bought several straw hats, large and small brim which fit over the hair roll and clippy and that has solved my sunshade problem for several years. This does not work with the usual hair clamps that the handle sticks out about 1-2 inches and the teeth grip the hair. Kind of hard to explain/visualize.

16. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

I too, suffered from this horrible problem! Being a 'knot head' in my hats! :waa:

THEN one day it hit me!! Wear your hair like you usually do (for me, then it was a bun in it's favorite location) and THEN go buy the hat!!!!! I used to ride with one of the pig leather Austrailian ones.. great in the rain too... but now I have a staw that works just fine.. I also always get (or install) an adjustable chin strap w/bead. Don't want to have to chase it down on a ride or windy day! And I REALLY don't want my hair touching me/my neck..ANY of me when its HOT! Ewwwww!!! *shudder*

17. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

seems somebody could make some money by inventing a pony tail hat that was easy to wear and take off. I'd sure buy one cause I have the same problem. I want the air to hit my neck not my pony tail, and I like to take my hat on and off. I've just been using a hat that I can pull my hair through the back and keeping my hat on until I get through working, but wearing a hat too long gives me a headache. I for sure don't want my hair blowing in my face.

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

ive had hair down my back for.... mmm long time. heat gives me headaches sun gives me headaches.

hats make my head to hot... worse headache.

one day I couldnt take it no more, I snapped and had the nice hair chick down the road gimme a super short but still combable haircut.

wow... it was the hair. holding the heat in i guess.
    no nore headaches.
    I can dunk my head in the horses watertub and not have water folow me for an hour... and it feels good.

I look a bit nerdish now, but you dont notice my thin hairline as much...
    and its very cooooooool.... hats dont bother me anymore.

My choice was when I had long hair, a wet bandana.

made a good cooling wick effect all day. kept my scalp feom gttig sunvburned.

cut the hair, you'll be happy.

19. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to wear my hair as short as I could get it and did like the freedom of that. But I've worn my hair long for 30 years now, and like the fact that I can just pull it back and "go". Besides, I can cut my own hair when it's long and I can't when it's short and have to go have it cut every 2 weeks cause it grows out so fast.

20. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I think I will try cutting the top out of a hat. I wish they made a visor, but that went all the way around your head for total shade!

I'm not cutting my hair! It's started falling out and turning gray :( I'm afraid if I cut it....I'll be mostly bald with a few gray wisps....

BTW...does gray hair grow in gray, or does a regular hair turn gray??? Just wondering....

Thanks for all the ideas.

Jena