Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a bunch of turkey eggs in an incubator, three of which were due to hatch yesterday. As I looked in on them yesterday I heard chirping. Almost 24 hours later, still no hatching. How long do I give them before I give up?

Thanks.
Brian

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have a bunch of turkey eggs in an incubator, three of which were due to hatch yesterday. As I looked in on them yesterday I heard chirping. Almost 24 hours later, still no hatching. How long do I give them before I give up?

Thanks.
Brian
And it has gone quiet.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Turkeys are not anything I've ever hatched. They will rest when it comes to hatching. Things will go quiet and stressful for the human.

Listen closely for sounds of distress. With chickens that's when a human can step in and intercede to aid hatching. Yours not being externally pipped would be a challenge.

·
STILL not Alice
20,200 Posts
Turkeys are not anything I've ever hatched. They will rest when it comes to hatching. Things will go quiet and stressful for the human.

Listen closely for sounds of distress. With chickens that's when a human can step in and intercede to aid hatching. Yours not being externally pipped would be a challenge.
This is true.

Just last night, I had to help two little chickies who were very vocal, but also VERY stuck in their shells. There were no signs of pipping, and although I have never interfered with a hatch out before, I figured that they needed help, so I cracked the shell a bit.

They are walking around with their pleased mama hen now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have hatched lots of chicks. If you have to help them, go slowly when cracking the egg and stop immediately if you see red blood. I had one today who had barely broken the shell this morning and this afternoon I broke away a little shell. A drop of blood appeared so I stopped and a few minutes ago I finished breaking it out and it’s doing fine now. This is the same with Silkie chicks, ducks and turkeys In my experience.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My turkey eggs were notorious for getting shrink-wrapped inside their shells. Much harder to hatch than chicken eggs. I got to where I would let a hen hatch them for me then take the babies...turkeys can be bad moms sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts