Hatcheries without minimum order numbers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Running Wild, May 14, 2005.

1. Running Wild

Running Wild Well-Known Member

Hi All;

A while back I remember reading a post about a hatchery that allowed customers to order smaller numbers of chicks. I unsuccessfully tried to search the archives for the post. Does anyone remember the name of the hatchery or know of one that doesn't required a 25 chick minimum order? I asked this question on the Poultry forum and got two responses--Ideal and Cackle Hatcheries. Neither one sounds familiar, so I don't think they were the one I read about previously. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks much!

2. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I don't know if there are any that will ship less than 25. It is for the sake of the chicks, not for profit. They can live off of their yolks for a day or so, but they still need warmth and the body heat of 24 other chicks is really the only way to do it.
    What kind of birds are you looking for? I have the NPIP directory and might be able to put you in touch with a local (to you) hatchery where you could just pick up a few chicks.

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I've ordered from Ideal before and had good experiences. Cackle is also pretty well known. Either of those hatcheries should be a decent choice. They may add some extra chicks for warmth so you may end up with more than you wanted anyway. Better luck getting less chicks in summer than in Jan or Feb.

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Yes on Cackle Hatchery. They have a minimum of 15 chicks but will mix them up any way you want.

5. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

I have 9 Russian Orloff Pullets coming from Ideal. My 9 pullets came in the mail this morning. They added 10 little males for extra warmth.

6. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

Ideal poultrey is in Cameron, Texas. They don't have a minimum amount, but they will ship extra roosters for warmth. Either way, you are still getting 25 chicks. I say "free food!!"