Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what people think of McMurray? I've heard only good things so far. My local feed store goes through them and Ideal. I'm debating on ordering direct next year.

TIA!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
We ordered dry goods from them and got good service. I will probably do my next chick order through them, I was not happy with the feed store service. (Chicks were weeks late and then when they came in they wanted me to pick up as promptly as the post office would despite their flyer saying I had three days to pick up.)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I used Murray this year nice birds no losses. They called the day they hatched and when they shipped,postoffice called the next day at 6am.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have used Mc Murrays in the past with good luck, but as stated they are high. Ideal is good so far. With shipping included and their weekly hatch specials they are real cheap with good stock. I order from Schlecht for my egg layers; their sex link line lays at 16 weeks and lays steady through cold and heat. They are the cheapest I can find on broilers that will ship to me. Excellent customer service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ditto on McMurry. We raised a batch of sweet banties a few years ago from there. Also, I found them specifically recommended as a good source for the heritage Silver-grey Dorking chicken. This will be my choice for chickens in the Spring.

We purchased feed store chickens this year, but I haven't been especially pleased with them. I don't plan on keeping them past the end of next summer.

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Their Silver Grey Dorkings were outstanding. Also a great chicken, if you don't want the lawn dug up around your house.

Brahmas and Silver and Gold laced Wyndottes were really nice too.
Their d'Uccles, Antwerps and bantam frizzle Cochins are soooo sweet.

Also had a few of their Polish... pretty fun around but sadly, predators find it all to easy to pick them off, because they really can't see much.

I really loved Salmon Faverolles.... but a number of the chicks arrived with wry foot...
not good with those.
So if you order these,, order extra.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I have used cackle and been happy with the birds I have gotten. I had one batch that I lost a few and called them and they refunded me the price. I did not ask they offered. I will continue buying from them. I have also ordered from Welp and got good service and birds. I think there are several good hatcheries to choose from. Every one of them will make a mistake from time to time, they are people too! The difference is customer service and how they deal with it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used McMurray to order my laying flock last year (I ordered straight run and put the extra cockerels in the freezer). I ordered silver grey dorkings and Dominiques. 50 chicks total and only 1 loss. I would/will order from them again.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have ordered from McMurray twice and was pleased with the prices, service and quality. I have ordered from Sunray twice and was VERY pleased with the prices and quality, not as much with the service. You must wait for them to send a bill and then mail a check before your order is processed. No website ordering and no phone ordering, mail only. My local feed store uses Whelp. Good prices, good quality and I get to shop locally. And I get great customer service there.

Peace,
Curtis

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Are any of you getting chicks that you could take to the fair from these hatcheries? I went with Ideal and the Delaware's I got really did not fit the breed descriptions well enough to show at all.

I want to try Cochin because one's I have met have just amused the heck out of me. They seem very nice. But my son is interested in doing 4-h projects with whatever chickens we have.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
When you sit down and figure out the chick prices and shipping costs, McMurray is really no more (or not much more) than Cackle.

I prefer the birds from McMurray, as I have better all-around results with their stock. Cackle (much closer to me) is all right, but McMurray is a bit better, IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have used McMurray twice with great results. Great customer service, they honor their guarantee if you have a loss, and the birds I got from
Them were laying machines.

I've also used meyer twice. One time I had a terrible order. Lost a great number of birds. They did refund though. The next time I ordered from them only because McMurray was out of red sex links and it was fantastic! 28/28 birds arrived alive and in excellent condition.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I ordered from Meyer last year. All good but 1 hen was a roo. We had already ordered 2 Roos in case 1 died for 4h so we had 3. It became interesting to see what roo made the cut, or should i say didnt get cut! The middle one was the keeper. The other 2 were soup. Even at 14 weeks they were tough. I guess RIR is not a good meat bird lol.

I didnt even call about it, but friends have and they took care of them. They said if i order this year to mention it, and they will add an extra to make up for it. Sexing chicks is tough, but i think most hatcheries do a good job. Still doubt ill even mention it if i order this year. Btw the roo that did make it is one of the best. Takes care of his girls well. Is easy to handle. Came in 2nd at the fair.

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,849 Posts
I ordered from Meyer last year. All good but 1 hen was a roo. We had already ordered 2 Roos in case 1 died for 4h so we had 3. It became interesting to see what roo made the cut, or should i say didnt get cut! The middle one was the keeper. The other 2 were soup. Even at 14 weeks they were tough. I guess RIR is not a good meat bird lol.

I didnt even call about it, but friends have and they took care of them. They said if i order this year to mention it, and they will add an extra to make up for it. Sexing chicks is tough, but i think most hatcheries do a good job. Still doubt ill even mention it if i order this year. Btw the roo that did make it is one of the best. Takes care of his girls well. Is easy to handle. Came in 2nd at the fair.
Breed shouldn't matter, I don't think. Did you let the meat rest 48-72 hours before cooking? How did you cook it? I butchered a 16wk cockerel and grilled his meat after a 72 hour rest to release rigor, he was delicious!

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Murray McMurray is my go to hatchery. I've ordered from many others, but push comes to shove if they have the breed I'm looking for, I'll order from them.

They have excellent customer service, and if you lose a few chicks they'll get you a refund without quibbling.

I really like their website that shows what chicks are available, too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've used McMurray lots of of times and have been mostly happy with them. The d'Uccles I got a couple years ago through them were not great quality, but everything else was great.

I've been using Stromberg's and I like them. Prices are lower than McMurray and include shipping. They also have a pretty large selection of birds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am just about ready to buy more chicks and will probably be buying from Meyer's as they are only about an hour from my location. I'm not patient enough to wait until the spring to get them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts