Has my wife finally gone mad? read this

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Well my wife has finally lost her mind. She informed me that she wants a Whites Prism 2 Metal Detector and a Desert Fox gold panning machine. She says that we need more "outside" time. After her encounter with some customers Monday she is 99% through with retail. She said she had rather be muddy and a Treasure Hunter than Clean and put up with BS all day.

Do you think has she gone mad or do you think she's on to something?

You can see the fox here http://jwprospect.tripod.com/goldprospecting/fox.html

Ya'll do realize if I go along with this madness NEXT she'll be wanting some of you to go with "us" :eek: Treasure Hunting. :p

Kenneth in NC

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

For family time we got into Geo Caching and it has been a wonderful experience. True you don't find treasure but you do find something every trip. Plus you get a lot of exercise and new sights.

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like your wife has finally gone sane!

Go out and have fun. ;)

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Ill have to admit after watching a few shows on tv last year on panning for gold.I had dreamed of it myself.It would have to be a better way of life.Well that is if you could find enough to make a living! :D Id starve the first week the way my luck goes.

Would be a good hobbie id think. ;)
    Especially if you have gold in your neck of the woods/ mountains. :D

5. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Sure - who cares if you find a thing, it's the process that's important. Like fishing - I enjoy a nice day in the sun reading a book, don't really care about catching a fish!

Have fun!

6. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

You are in a good state for gold. I think the biggest nugget was discovered in Ashville area of NC. Might as well give it a try :p

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

""Ya'll do realize if I go along with this madness NEXT she'll be wanting some of you to go with "us" Treasure Hunting.""

Just tell me "when" and "where"!
    I'd love to go along.

8. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

Up the 'road' from our land in NC there are lots of places to go panning for gold and such.

Cane Creek I think which runs by the edge of our property.

Sounds like fun and better than dealing with customers-YUCK!!!

9. Kenneth in NC

Very soon because we "bought" the detector and desert fox as well as a garret gold pan.

Where how far are you from Charlotte, NC?

10. Kenneth in NC

1st Annual Golden Valley Gold Days GOLD FESTIVAL September 25th & 26th 2004

Golden Valley Campground
    680 NC Hwy. 226 Casar, NC

For more information call Joe or Lynn Hoyle at 704-538-8047

There going to have a common gold dig and Coin treasure hunt. Kids and adults.

tallpines Were going up there to see what it's all about. Want to meet us up there or somewheres close by?

OZ ain't that up near your new place? Want to go to the Gold Festival?

Anyone else nearby want to get together and go to this festival?

My wife called it's $3. bucks admission but parking is Free. Under 12 get's in Free.
    Gold dig is Sat and Sun Coin hunt is Saturday afternoon. I'm expecting a call back from Joe Hoyle and then I'll relate an update.

Kenneth in NC

11. Kenneth in NC

If your going and want to meet prior to getting to the Festival E-mail me and let's talk about it. healthwizard@surfbest.net

12. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Man, I'd sure enjoy it but I'm about 1300 miles from there.

Have a good time!

13. Kenneth in NC

OK talked to Joe Hoyle one of the promoters, activities include lessons on rockhounding, gold panning and metal detector use. Including how to dig up coins without loosing the coin or tearing up the yard.

Oh yes there is a live band (as opposed to the dead one they originally scheduled :haha: )

Looks like a go from our end. My wife has already started packing the truck so I guess that means I'm going to the Golden Valley Campground this week-end.

Kenneth in NC

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I think your wifes sexy rating just spiked by 300 or 400%.

15. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

We used to go gold panning for recreation, never found even enough to pay for gas, but it was a fun thing to do on hot days! :D Our girls were still pretty young and they would play in the creek while Daddy and I panned. We took a big picnic lunch, and sometimes camped overnight on a gravel bar. Sometimes we picked up enough aluminum cans along the road coming and going to pay for gas (we were on a tight budget). When we lived in Alaska and went camping/goldpanning, I picked cranberries across the creek and canned enough sauce and jelly to keep us all winter (canned over the campfire or on propane camp stove). We also had cranberry syrup on our pancakes, cranberry sauce and peanut butter sandwiches, cranberry muffins . . . . :D

Kathleen in Oregon

16. nostalgia

nostalgia Well-Known Member

I would love to go too. Me and my husband both metal detect but haven't found any gold yet. :( But it is alot of fun! And you can meet alot of interesting and fun people at the meets and get togethers. I hope you both enjoy it as much as we do. I love gardening, he hates it. He loves hunting, I would freeze to death. Metal detecting is the one thing we both enjoy doing together outdoors. Have fun! :cool:

17. Kenneth in NC

Were just getting started so The Gold Festival looks like a good way to get our feet wet. The classes start about 9:a.m. and run through out the day Sat & Sun. My wife is ready to set up at one of the "for fee" mines up in the Mountains and pan, pan, pan. Her and my daughter are big time rock collectors.

Noticed on the to do list this morning "pick up gold panning books and mine listings for NC/SC/GA" So when the library opens I have my instructions. :D

Gotta admit the Desert Fox Impressed me. It was easy to set up first time. (took 15 minutes) It really can salvage the teeny tiny flour gold. Hmmm maybe next week we can go to the Mountains ;)

18. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

With all the heavy rain and fast water that was running in the creeks, I'm told panning is the way to go right now. Looks like y'all will have a great weekend for camping too. I would love to go, I do some gem mining. That would be a new experience for me. But we'll be busy on the weekends. :(
    Y'all have fun!
    T

19. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

I saw a snippet on CBS this morning that Gold Fever is catching on fast in NC, because of all the recent rains fllooding creeks and revealing new gold veins in the streams.

Great excuse to get out of doors too.

20. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Sounds like your wife is saner than most of us....