Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's a problem. It makes everything so much harder, and it's cold, and wet, and gross.
And no, that wood is just extra that we didn't have time to stack and tarp. 10 cords are ready and set to go. That was leftover stuff.

zone 5 - riverfrontage
10 cords, is a lot of firewood.

How many years is that for you?

Her in southern Maine I go through 3 1/2 cords a year.

In my region once it starts snowing, the temps are usually low enough that we do not get any further wet precipitation. All precipitation from then on is usually in solid form. I don't like the warm stuff either because it can get pretty wet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@rbelfield, right! It just makes everything so much more difficult.

@ET1 SS Yep. 10 cords = 1 year 馃槀 We're wimps. Fires going right now and won't be turned off until probably April :LOL:

Registered
Snowed here for about thirty seconds this morning, while I was feeding horses.

Sock puppet reinstated
Northern BC
My Aunt and Uncle had a farm between Chetwynd and Dawson Creek. My dad's ashes are spread there. Some of your pictures look a lot like there. Of course, it could also be so many other places in Northern B.C./ My mom and her siblings grew up in Prince George. We spent lots of summers there at Purden lake. My aunt lives in Quesnel. I know the region well.

Premium Member
I don't mind snow at all. As long as I'm prepared. As long as it's no more than a foot. We'll probably get a lot just for my having written that.

When I lived in upstate NY (my 20's) there was plenty of snow (from November into May on occasion). But I only missed one day of work (when I walked out to clean the car off and my feet were level with the sidewalk lamp).

Until a few years ago, I had a wood stove in the den. How quaint. But too much dirt and spiders! That thing made the room about 90 degrees but the rest of the house was like a tomb. It's gone now. Then the oil-fired heating system died; got a new boiler that ran on propane! Yikes! But I only need to fill the tank during the cold months. My fingers are crossed with the ever-increasing prices of everything. Will be interesting for sure. 馃槦

Registered
Northern BC
I'm in south west BC. It started snowing up in the higher elevations of the mountains today, but not yet at lower elevations closer to sea level.

Personally I'm glad to see it considering there was no snow cover on the mountains here last winter (too warm) and the drought we had this spring and summer had everyone conserving water. I'll be happy if we get a good dump of snow this winter. So will all the farmers be happy. (y)

Registered
We go through about 8 cords a year in Northern Minnesota. We rarely hear the propane furnace come on. We use to be on a rotation with propane company, basically, they came by on a regular basis to ensure we didn't run out. A couple of years ago, after we put the wood burning stove in, he propane driver said he would only come if I called. We just don't use enough propane. We heat a 1900 square foot house from mid to end of Oct until April with our wood.

Registered
I'm in south west BC. It started snowing up in the higher elevations of the mountains today, but not yet at lower elevations closer to sea level.

Personally I'm glad to see it considering there was no snow cover on the mountains here last winter (too warm) and the drought we had this spring and summer had everyone conserving water. I'll be happy if we get a good dump of snow this winter. So will all the farmers be happy. (y)

Loved Canada. Went to McGill U. 4 years. Really a top U. Worked in VCBC for 5 years as Designer. Loved and sure enjoyed my work tere. I did enjoy the weather there. Enjoyed the fishing under that long span bridge. Also enjoyed the nice Zoo there. Weathe here has been all time great Summer and Fall. Rain it the right time. Good for the crops. Rain at least once a week.

Sock puppet reinstated
It is snowing again now. White everywhere. We need to cross the state on Saturday to pick up my FIL. I hope it stops before then. It was closed yesterday. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts