Has everyone gone to newer pickups

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Vic, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic Well-Known Member

The more I read on here the more it seems that everyone drives newer pickups. I have a 1967 ford PU with a 240 6-cylender and a 3-speed transmission. I use her all the time and she does everything I need for her to do. She has cost very little to own over the years, although I did rebuild the engine a couple of years ago. It is getting harder to find frountend shops that can align a twin-I-beam or even know how to.
    Maybe I just love the older pickups too much to let them go. Someday I know I will get a newer pickup but I will never replace my old 67 ford, she'll be in the family for years. My daughter wants her when I am done with her.

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I don't like to pay more for a vehicle than for my house! When I get another truck I want an old Dodge again. My old 72 Dodge pu could climb over a wall with a HEAVY load. Wish I'd hung on to it!

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

hey I have a 65 ford 250. once you allign the ibeams they dont need it again unless you really bend them hitting something.
    Keep your eye out for junks with low low miles on them, up to 78 I beleive the I beams are identical.
    if you really get in a bind, the body and bed will bolt onto a newer frame.
    If they bend em wrong wee oooo your in a pickle. you can still but Ibeams for a newer truck (70's) but your talking bucks.

now what can we do about the gas milage?
    I'll trade the gas milage for the user freindlyness and relaibility of "older" systems.
    yes... you have to grease and adjust them.. Fix Or Repair Daily as they say... people mistake maintenance with fixing.

yes... I have a large oilcan I squirt on all the moving bits like a locomotive. we lovingly call it "the tinman", as it often squeeks "oilcanoilcan!"

yes, its slow... its 40 yrs old thats 283 in people years.

oh yeah, mine will me worth more than a new one every year it ages. a new one is already worth 20% les just from your drive home.

not to mention, no emissions testing. whatever I bolt on or replace, no worries about the numbers.

yeap... i will eat the 12 MPG for that. it took me 500 bucks to get my little nissan emission tested before it failed again and then had to put in a 150 exemption tune up for the privalage of buying a 15 dollar exempt sticker.
    the old ford got a free red "I'm to old dont even ask" sticker.
    Now in PA they dont tailpipe test your emissions output they plug you intoan anylizer and if your emissions computer isnt within factory specs you fail... no "exemption bribes" to get it anyway.. it fail;s you repair it (by a dealer, no less) or you own a doorstop.
    before you could have a butcherd emissions system and if your pipe gas was below a reading you were OK... not anymore! the computer tattles on you, they dont care about the output they care about if the system is intact.
    Thieves they are...

keep that dinosaur, they cant screw ya.

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I drive an '88 S-10 with a 263 and a 4 spd automatic. Everybody that I know says that it's too old and unreliable, and that I should trade up to a new truck. It's a bit rusty, but she is mechanically sound. If I have the time before my current truck rusts to pieces, I'd like to take a rust-free '60s truck, modernise the brakes and steering (4 wheel drum with no power assist isn't the safest in the world) and make that my daily driver.

5. In my state, it is the yearly inspection that generally keep people from running the old stuff. The state just does not want people driving old junk on public roads and every year the inspections get harder to pass. Surface rust, oil drips, no windshield washers, “excessive” valve noise, even shoddy paint can all be cause for “fail” on inspection. Wont even get into the emissions nightmare. Days of having an old beater or plow truck are dead and gone in my neck of the woods. New Iron cost way too much money but it does ride nice, can make better than 55MPH on the highway and has great A/C. Glad to hear that some old trucks are still running.

6. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

I have an '85 Dodge with a slant six and a 4 speed. I junked the electronics and converted it to a '74 ignition system. I like it...and, as usual, when nothing else runs right...it does.

7. bulldinkie

bulldinkie Well-Known Member

My husband always bought Fords.We have a construction business all fords,crew cabs,F250,f350supercab,diesel.Well his 1999 truck we use for leisure dont drive alot.The transmission blew about 2 weeks ago.Hubby is seriously thinking a change.We were told all 2001-02,03 all have transmission problems.And guess what Ford doesnt care either.
    We also have a 1931 dodge power wagon.

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

And it's an old one. 1981 Dodge 150 with only 52k miles on it for $600. I just can't see spending $30k or more on something new. No thanks.

9. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I just traded in my mini-van for an F150...1994...$6500 minus the trade-in. maybe I'm weird, but I have never had good luck with the older vehicles and this is the first pickup I've ever had. I stuck with my budget allowance and what my mechanic likes! :)

Sarah

10. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

I've got a 2004 Ford F150. I love it. It has a super crew cab, so i can also carry up to 5 passengers. It's not the greatest on gas mileage.. perhaps one day they will make a gas/electric hybrid pick up.. I'd love that!

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Sarah,
    I drive a 1994 F-150. Great truck, but have had recurring trouble with the clock spring. More irritating than anything else.

Meg :)

12. Travis in Louisiana

Travis in Louisiana Clinton, Louisiana

I drive a 1995 GMC pickup. It needs a paint job, but still runs. No rust problems that I can see, and best of all, IT IS PAID FOR :D

13. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

I own a '77 Ford F 150 pickup. I love it.

14. Surveyorwill

Surveyorwill Active Member

I would gladly drive a pre '73' anything if I could find one in good shape and if it wern't for DW's bad back. So if ya got to do it do might as well go all out I say, so we have an '03' GMC Sierra, extra cab, and just about all the bells and whistles. Milage is no better that those older ones but it is comfortable :).

My dad has several 1940 Plymouth pickups (same as Dodge or Fargo for those of you in Canada) most are parts to keep the one with his camper on it running. They are great trucks and are simple to fix; got fuel, spark coolant, oil it runs, no brain to go out. :D

15. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I drive a 1949 Chevrolet 3800 series one ton grain bed truck.

I'm currently letting it rest every few days by driving my latest purchase, a $200 1977 Ford Granada. I bought it mainly for salvage since it had a new motor about 10,000 miles ago.

Older is simplier and better in my opinion. Take a weed whacker and clear out about half of the cr-- under the hood of the newer ones and I might consider one. Well, maybe 3/4ths of the junk, not just half.

16. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

Love the old Fords. Owned a 68,72,76,77,82,85 and now own an 87 F150 4x4. FoMoCo all the way. I've never owned a vehicle that was made in the same decade that I was in at the time. New ones are way too expensive for me.

17. 1986 F150 4x2, 8 foot box, 300c.i. (4.9l) inline 6 with a 1bbl carter carb and C6 automatic. Its slow (don't try passing on a 2 lane highway), its thirsty, its old, has no A/C and it rattles... but insurance is cheap, extremely reliable, no worries about dings and scratchs, easy/cheap to fix and it has lots of torque. The money I'd lose driving a new cheap truck off the lot would probably be twice as much as everything I have ever spent on the 86.

cheers,

18. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I drove older vehicles for years. I thought it was cheaper.

It isn't.

I purchased my 2001 Toyota Tundra 3 years ago. Yes, I took out a loan and have a 60 payment booklet. I figure the truck should reasonably last for 120 months, before repairs become common and the body rusts out.

IMHO, a dam site better than driving vehicles of questionable reliability and dropping nearly the same amount as a payment to the mechanics.
    Monthly payments on a new reliable vehicle.....or irregular payments (perhaps equal or greater to the monthly new vehicle payments) to the mechanic for repairs.

19. Terry - NW Ohio

Terry - NW Ohio Well-Known Member

We have a 1976, Ford F150, with 4WD that works. It's a great truck!

20. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

61 f250 stepside..... i like it
    89 f250 4x4 8' bed.... more wore out than the 61....i don't like it
    dream of a ton diesel dually 4 door 4x4......ford of course...maybe a dodge