Has anyone used this type of cultivator on a garden tractor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Having the soil loose is essential for these spring-tooth cultivators to work properly. If the soil is compacted the teeth are just not strong enough to break it up. You also may have to add a little weight to it to get it deep enough. The good thing about cultivating is you don't want to go very deep anyway. If the soil and weight are right they work pretty well.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like a good tool. It would be good to work the soil ahead of planting. You would have to have your rows wide enough to drive your garden tractor between them. Unless your mower has high tractor type tires on the rear, it might not have enough traction to pull it.

4. Have never had anything as that for my lawn tractor but have used similar device underneath a cub tractor when I was growing up. Works good for large gardens but I think a good troybuilt tiller works even better. What I think would be even better is to use a pull behind tiller. One that has it's own engine.