Has Anyone Used Morning Moo?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Calico Katie, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

I want to start using some dehydrated dairy products and need a drinkable milk substitute. This site sells Morning Moo and makes it sound better than real milk. :cute:

http://www.internet-grocer.net/dehydrtd.htm

2. mamakatinmd

mamakatinmd Well-Known Member

I have not tried the morning moo. I have ordered dehydrated eggs, margarine, some fruit and vegetables from this site though. If you have not ordered from them before I can vouch that I did receive good service and was happy with my products. I also am getting ready to put in another order and am planning to order milk. I would be interested if any has tried the morning moo vs. instant non fat milk.

Kat

3. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going to order a #10 can of the Morning Moo and one of the whole egg powder. I know that I'll use those in cooking even if I don't care for them. I thought I'd get a #2.5 can of the powdered margarine and give that a try. It would take me longer to use that if I don't like it.

4. Michee

Michee Well-Known Member

It's powdered.....it's never going to taste as good as fresh. I don't care for it but some folks do. I bought a couple cans but decided against storing it for the simple reason it is very high in sugar and a whole lot of things I can't pronounce. Full nutrition label can be found here:
    http://waltonfeed.com/self/labels/moo.html
    regular instant powder milk label here:
    http://waltonfeed.com/self/labels/milkinst.html

I use powdered eggs for baking all the time. Powdered margine......depends on what you want it for. For baking it is acceptable. If you think to use it for toast, pretty awful though no doubt a person could adapt. Powdered shortening/margine/butter is basically what is in Bisquick. If you like that ok, you will be fine.

I personally store canned butter, ghee and shortening for longer term storage, as after taste testing this is our preferance. Shortening (like Crisco) will store for at least a couple years unopened according to the manufactor and generally much longer (much, much longer in a one can accidental experiment) and a year open in moderate temps. Ghee stores a long time, even opened on the shelf. Commerically canned butter lasts for years on the shelf unopened. Of course I have other oils on hand but they all have shorter storage times.

5. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

I don't use powdered milk products anymore, but when I did, I used Morning Moo and I liked it. (Now that I see what the ingredients are, I'm glad I quit using it, but that's my personal choice.)

The Morning Moo mixed up just like milk, in my opinion, and I could even make "cream" with it by mixing it stronger. I grew up having to drink that nasty powdered milk (I think it was Carnation), and this stuff was actually good. If you can get past all the additives in it, that is.

~Lannie

6. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

I used to sell Allison's Pantry and they carried Morniing Moo. I had a lady who ordered it all the time and just swore up and down that it was the best thing since....well, milk!

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

The trans fatty acids in the partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in this product and in the Crisco are highly deleterious to your health and one of the major contributing factors to the epidemic of heart and vascular disease we experience in Western cultures since their introduction into our diet.

8. Marilyn

Marilyn Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Jillis. You took the words right out of my mouth.

We do not want to consume trans fats - trans fatty acids - partially hydrogenated oils (they're all the same) under any circumstances. That's the stuff that sticks to the inside of our arteries causing worlds of trouble.

If you want to have powdered milk on hand, but do not like the tast of instant powdered milk, check your local natural grocer for powdered milk that is not instant. It is more difficult to mix - it takes hot water and/or a blender to do it well, but it doesn't have nearly as much of that "instant" off-taste.