has anyone used k12 for homeschooling

Discussion in 'The Classroom' started by wildwood2009, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

2. offthegrid

offthegrid Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree - especially with the first sentence. One of the main reasons we left school was specifically so that we did NOT have to stay with the "group" in every subject...that is the problem for so many students. If you have a smart kid that does well in school, doing "school at home" should be easy for you. But if, for whatever reason, you have a kid that is not excelling in school - "school at home" would be the last choice I would recommend. Every kid learns differently -- in different ways, at different rates -- and if they don't get something - you should be able to stop, review, and ensure that the foundation is there before moving on. 3% a week be damned! (Because learning could be 3%, 12%, 0%, 10%, etc.)

As for creating a curriculum -- it's not like you have to write your own curriculum. You can buy all the pieces -- math, ELA, science, history....they are all available in packages. Yes, you need to set the schedule, but that's the beauty of homeschooling. Nothing prevents you from cancelling ALL your classes for a week and focusing solely on history -- reading, watching movies, going on field trips, etc. And then picking up the rest the next week.

I do think that it's great that homeschooling is legal in all states, and is easy and flexible in many states. I would hate "school at home" but know that it works great for many families.

Ohio dreamer likes this.

3. ErinP

ErinP Too many fat quarters... Supporter

I have to disagree, too. Again, I can completely understand why someone might want to go this route. Its a legitimate option .
    But k12 et. al. have little to nothing in common with my goals and purpose for homeschooling. Not now, not when I was a new home schooler...
    The biggest reason I homeschool is so i can tailor my kid's education. School-in-a-box doesn't allow that.

Ohio dreamer likes this.
  4. chris james

chris james New Member

Yes I too have few suggestions. For better online education try to get a degree from an accredited online school. Online education program will provide a degree to every students based on their academic level and future goals. I did a research for online homeschooling sites for my son where I found The Ogburn online school. The online school is one which fits to best learning style and budget. This has proven the best for my son and family. For more ideas you can visit their website and can speak to their counselor. Best of luck!!!

- http://www.ogburnonlineschool.com/online-high-school

5. FCLady

FCLady Well-Known Member

We've used easy peasy allinonehomeschool.com for 3 years now. I like it; the girls like it and the lessons aren't super long so we add our own stuff to it so it works for us. For example our district stopped teaching cursive writing, we teach that. We add community service projects and book reports as well. Most days we start at 10 am and finish by 2-3 pm.