Has anyone tried that new

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pickapeppa, Jul 17, 2006.

1. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Preen Vegetable Garden weed preventer? It's made with corn gluten meal, claims are the high protein content supressess weed seed germination. So you would have to have your seeds already sprouted with 2-3 true leaves and weeds pulled before it gets applied. Says it works for 4-6 weeks.

Anyone tried it yet? How well does it work?

2. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

I haven't used the veggie garden stuff but the general pre-emergent. I think it worked great. I'll have to look into the garden stuff.

3. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

I don' know exactly what is in the preen stuff, but you can but the corn gluten at your local feed/seed mill. Ours has to order it in but it comes within a few days. I have not tried it but a friend did and said that it worked well for him. I am not sure of the rate of application.
    I think this would be much cheaper than the preen. You can buy the preen under a different name at fertilizer dealers for a fraction of the cost.
    If you try it, let us know what you think of it.
    Joanie

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I use clorox mixed with water. Works well and costs little. Use it only where you don't want weeds to grow at all.