Has anyone seen....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana! I am looking for a hot water bottle (the rubber old fashioned kind) shaped like a horseshoe. You know like the kind of pillow you can get for traveling and the buckwheat things you can get for use on the neck that you microwave and it stays warm for one hour. Our regular hot water bottle when filled with hot water stays warm for 8 hours and I seem not to be able to find a shaped one. Anyone ever seen, heard of where to find one of these?

2. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I fill a sock with uncooked rice and microwave it for a heat wrap.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

harleys mom- about how long does that stay warm? i had not thought of that, was looking for something with some weight and that just might be it! do i need to put the rice in something prior to going in the sock? how long do i heat it for about? my microwave ( can only be used when generator is running) is only 600 watts.

4. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I have just poured the rice straight into the sock and used it that way. It has been years since I did it and I don't remember how long to set the microwave for but I think it only took about 20 to 30 seconds. Just experiment and see how long it takes.
    I would think you could heat up the rice on a stove top or in an oven also and then put it into the sock. Never tried that but seems like it should be possible.

5. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I got one of those socks for when i was delivering one of my kids years ago. Take a white Tube Sock and fill with rice, knot. I heat mine up for 2 min. in microwave. My sock is large. We still use them for neck pain, back pain. Hadn't thought of putting it in my bed for my toes!

We were talking about the same subject recently with my SIL who was visiting from Austria. She said they use rice sometimes there, but prefers cherry pits. She said they stay warm longer - haven't tried this method.

You can also make a little cover for it so it won't get dirty if you want.