Has anyone seen the tv show on PBS

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Oct 2, 2006.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

About a 79 yr old man and an 80 yr old woman who live on 200 acres 50 miles from their nearest neighbor. Kids are gone. They came there in 1945. up in the appliacian mtns. Guy at work was telling me bout it. Said it had been on saeveral times, and would be on several more. If anybody knows when it is comeing on around here, id like to see it. He stumbled onto it by accident

2. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Never heard of it. I'd be interested if you could find a title, though.

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine anyplace in the lower 48, outside of a few wilderness areas out west, where you could be 50 miles from a neighbor...

I've lived in some of the largest wilderness in the lower 48 and a hard 30 mile hike would get me to humans...

Heck, even in AK, I could find someone closer than 50...

Wonder if they'd sell out? :rolleyes:

4. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Look up the website for your local PBS station. I'm sure it would be there somewhere.

5. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Yes, or call the station and ask about it.

6. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

Even in the heart of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, there is not a place much more than 7.5 miles (as a crow flies) from a residence.

Almost nowhere else in WNC is more than 3 miles from a residence.

There are still remote places in Maine.

7. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I watch PBS when I do watch tv,and I have never seen it. PBS stations have different shows in all states.Its the only channel with decent programes.

8. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Farmrookie
    Have to agree, our place is in the Ohio valley in the Applachian foot hills and I'd wager there is not a place in the appalachians where the nearest human was 50 miles away. Maybe out west some where but certainly not the eastern U.S. . None the less there are some isolated areas, it would be an interesting show I think.

9. bargarguy

bargarguy Well-Known Member

Hey
    Now that I am thinking about it, I remember reading in a Gene Logsdon book about an older couple living in the Ohio valley in homestead fashion and had been for many many years. I do not know if they made a movie about them or not, but they might fit the bill here except the "50" mile thing.

10. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

That is neat for them but in the same breath I have to hold my breath in response to their age if they are alone and 50 miles from a neighbor who could help them when they need help.
    think about it a minute..

11. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

The only thing I could think of that was remotely close to this is up in Cades Cove. The couple have lived up there for many years (when there was an actual town), raised their kids there. Everyone left except this couple. The state let them stay and be the "care takers" for that area up there. I believe they have cattle that they keep. Kids all moved to town when they were old enough to leave home.

12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like Dick Proenneke's story of living in Alaska, but totally misremembered by the friend. That's been on PBS several times recently.

13. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing....