Has anyone heard of this firestarter idea?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cfabe, Nov 29, 2005.

1. cfabe

cfabe Well-Known Member

I was talking to my uncle a while back and he gave me an idea for an easy way to start fires in my stove. He said he learned it from an old guy out west when he was traveling. What you do is save the wood chips from when you're sawing your firewood, let them dry out, then mix with some kerosene. Not much, just enough to absorb into the wood, don't get it really wet. Then instead of kindling use a cup or so of this mixture underneath your logs.

I tried it tonight and it seemed to work well. I just mixed up a small batch, and in my maybe 1 cup of shavings there was maybe 1 fl oz of kerosene, if that. Seemed to burn for quite a while, until the logs caught.

In the manual to my stove it warns agianst using accelrants. I figure this is just for liability reasons. I can't see a problem with this method, but I'd thought I'd ask you all to get your impressions.

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have an oil furnace that i need to bleed every time i service it. i save the drained oil and mix with the latger chips of bark. my only concern is letting the stuff sit around. i have heard that oily rags can spontaneously ignite and i suppose oily anything could ignite that way. i keep only a small amount on hand and away from combustables. i do not enclose it in a can or anything but maybe that would be a good idea.

3. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I've heard of that method and I guess it works fine. I'm a bit weird about starting fires though. I consider myself a fire pureist or something. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I won't use anything but one stick match and birch bark to start a fire.

4. outsideman1

outsideman1 Well-Known Member

we use fat lighter wood . only one piece or two about as big as you finger is all it usually takes

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

We used kerosens to start fires for years. Corn cobs were our kindling. We picked up the cobs every night in the chicken park from the ear corn we fed the day before.
    To make a torch, we tied a baling wire around three cobs and soaked them in a tin can of coal oil. They would burn for several minutes with a flame about a foot high. We used these to thaw water tanks or warm up the crankcase on the Model A Ford so it would start.

6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I use lighter wood too. That's the way I was taught growing up. Finding it in the woods is not all that easy though.

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

You have the luxury of having such a huge quantity of birch to start fires. Sweet. I usually split a bunch of ash into small pieces early in the year and store them indoors to keep them dry.

8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

What I do is------ I melt some old discarded candle wax in a old pot then mix in some dry sawdust from my sawmill, then spoon the mix into paper egg cartons---let set-up----then tear the carton so each egg holding section is seperated-----the paper egg carton edges lite's easy like a wick to get the wax/saw dust mix started--------makes a Great---------Free---------Fire starter. In a few minutes you can make enough for all winter. I have my friends to save their old discarded candles. Randy

9. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

<<<<In the manual to my stove it warns agianst using accelrants. I figure this is just for liability reasons<<<

No, it is for the idiots out there that will use gasoline, alcohol, lighter fluid, ETC. Kerosene, used motor oil, diesel fuel, wax, or any of the slow burning accelerants will work fine.

10. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

I would not use Charcole starting fluid....Oh yeah I did... but that was a long time ago and it was a coal burning stove. :nana:

Kenneth in NC

11. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

If your stove has a catalytic element you will ruin it if you burn plastic, rubber, petroleum, or certain other materiels.

The instructions with my stove were specific on this point--only paper or wood fire starters.

I simply split up a bit of ash and keep it in a box in the garage. Once I light the stove it generally stays lit for the winter, so I do not need a lot of kindling. A fireplace match and a sheet of newspaper, the ash and a load of wood---I'm in business until spring unless we have a bunch of warm spells. Winter before last it seemed that I was starting the fire every other day.
    Ox

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Dryer lint makes a dandy fire starter. I mix it with paraffin and store it in chunks or in the cardboard egg cartons. I've also used the same dryer lint and paraffin mix but instead of egg cartons I used toilet paper or paper towel tubes. They really burn a long time. Now if you're starting a fire outside styrofoam dissolved in gasoline and mixed with moth crystals makes fantastic fire starter in any sort of weather.

13. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Pine cones are free around here. I melt the wax from old discarded candles in the top of an old double boiler. Dip the pine cones in the melted wax. Let harden on a sheet of newspaper. Takes only one to get me a nice fire going.

NeHi Mama

14. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

This may depend on the material that was in the dryer. I made some "lint" starters with empty toilet paper tubes. I did not have the assist from the parafin. I tested them outside, and they smoldered and smelled rank. I can't say if it was cotton or synthetics, but it was probably 100 per-cent one or the other. Just experiment a little, before "going live" with them.

If moth crystals are like moth balls, they are some toxic chemicals in there, and in the foam, so be sure to stand upwind.

Rick

15. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

That is exactly what I do! :goodjob:

16. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

We do the same as Fire-Man and FarmerJeff do. They work very well and store very easily.

17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Old cooking grease also makes a dandy fire starter.

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I’m lazy and we don’t like a mess around our fireplace. We just buy a box of those wax/sawdust fire-starter bricks from the local building center. The box contains 24 bricks for a price of about 7 bucks. I cut each brick into thirds, making a total of 72 smaller fire-starters. That’s less than 10 cents a starter. These 1/3 starters will start full-size logs…no need for kindling! Easy, quick, no mess, 100% effective.

19. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

another vote for the eggcarton/ dryer lint/ parrafin method. not messy and totally free too!

20. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

Well I'm an idiot. I start with newspaper and kindling, but if the woods damp and I can't get it started a little starter fluid does wonders and hey it works in grills too...